Men's Golf: Lobos move up in standings despite poor conditions

The second round of the NCAA Regional Men’s Golf Championship was one that the Lobos Men’s golf team wishes it could have back.

The Lobos started today six shots over-par and only eight shots back from the lead. Toward the end of yesterday’s round, the winds started to play a huge factor. Not just for the Lobos, but for the entire field. Today wasn’t any different.

The winds were blowing up to speeds of around 25 mph and became a huge test for all the players competing.

The Lobos’ struggles started early. At the beginning of the round, they only had one player through 5 holes and they were already a +8. Samuel Kim and Sean Carlon both double-bogeyed hole 11. Gustavo Morentes also bogeyed hole 11 and hole 12. Bogeys became a common theme for the Lobos.

UNM had a total of 25 bogeys and 10 double-bogeys. They finished the day at a +23 and are now a +29 entering the final day of the tournament.

Individually, all the Lobos played poorly as well. Below are their totals from round two:

Bevins: +5

Kim: +9

Carlon: +12

Morantes: +4

Garica: +5

There wasn’t a single team in the second round that finished under-par. Arizona State had the best total of the day shooting an overall team score of eight-over par. They held the lead the entire day and lead the tournament by nine-strokes heading into the third round. Here is how the rest of the field did:

1) Arizona State: +6

2) TCU: +21

3) South Florida: +24

4) USC: +26

5) Texas A&M: +27

T6) San Diego State: +29

T6) New Mexico: +29

8) Texas Tech: +31

T9) Liberty: +40

T9) Iowa: +40

11) North Carolina State: +43

12) Cleveland State: +53

13) Army West Point: +57

14) Wagner College: +69

The forecast for tomorrow predicts the same type of weather as today. Which players can rise to the occasion and send their team to the National Championship, will likely have to battle difficult more unruly conditions.

First tee breaks at 8 a.m. MT.