Senior pitcher Lisa Rodrigues pitches against a San Diego State batter Friday afternoon at the Lobo Softball Field. The Lobos lost to the Aztecs 23-4. 

Softball: Rough day in the circle plagues New Mexico in blowout

New Mexico stumbled out of the gates on Friday night in their series opener against San Diego State.

The stumble led to a nightmare game for the Lobos who were blown out 23-4 against the Aztecs.

UNM (22-23, 7-11 MW) has now dropped three straight games, including an eight-game home skid.

Head coach Erica Beach was unavailable for comment following the rout.

The Aztecs jumped all over redshirt junior Tess McPherson, scoring eight runs off eights hits in the top half of the first inning. McPherson didn’t record a single out after allowing six runs, five hits, and a walk to the only six batters she faced.

New quickly respond to SDSU’s big inning by putting up a three spot in the bottom half of the first inning. Junior shortstop Michala Erickson hit a solo shot out of the two-spot in the order. Senior centerfielder Mariah Rimmer singled in the next bat, which set up junior third baseman Jasmine Casados for her two-run homerun cutting the Aztec lead 8-3.

Things would take a turn for the worse after the first inning, as the Lobos would allow 15 runs in the next three innings. Including a 10 run inning in the fourth, in which the Aztecs went through their entire order before UNM would record its first out.

San Diego State’s right fielder Jaylene Ignacio and designated player Sydnee Cable led the way for SDSU as each had four RBIs on the night. Three more Aztec players had three RBIs.

McPherson was replaced by senior Lisa Rodrigues who gave up 17 runs off 23 hits in five innings of work. The senior threw 125 pitches in that span.

Casados, Erickson, and freshman catcher Jade Gray all homered to account for the only runs for New Mexico. Casados led all Lobo hitters going 2-for-2 with 2 RBIs.

However, UNM was out-hit substantially in Friday’s game 28 to 6. The contest only required five innings, with the mercy rule being enforced.

New Mexico will look to put Friday’s loss behind them and turn their attention to game two of the series on Saturday, first pitch is set for 1 p.m.

Wally Gallart is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @wallyagallart.