Track and field: Alice Wright puts New Mexico on the board

The New Mexico women’s track and field team is amidst a logjam with six teams tied for eighth place, thanks to Alice Wright.

For the second year, the sophomore freshman has been rewarded with All-American honors after her 32 minute and 46.99 second time in the 10,000-meter was the second best in the nation.

Only one other player has finished as a runner-up or better in UNM history. That athlete was Katie Coronado, who took second in the javelin, back in 2008. The two individuals are also the only to receive All-American honors in consecutive years.

Though no one else was able to get on the board for the Lobos on Thursday, the Lobos’ distance runners have provided plenty of evidence that the scoring has not ceased.

Seniors Sophie Connor (1500-meter) and Courtney Frerichs (3000-meter steeplechase) both advanced to the finals for UNM.

Frerichs, ranked No. 1, lived up to the title with the prelim round best 9:55.01 where she will look to improve on her second place finish in 2015.

"Winning has been in the back of my head for a year now," Frerichs said in a release. "Coming second last year was an amazing feeling, but it really motivated me for this year. It's been something that's pushed me all year, and I'm just excited for the finals."

Connor put forth a new personal best, and a new UNM record with her 4:13.74 time in the first heat. She now owns the top two times in UNM history after breaking the school record with a 4:14.03 which she set in May.

Connor ranks third in MW history, and is the first Lobo to ever move to the final round in the 1500.

Emily Hosker-Thornhill just missed qualifying for the finals with her PR time of 4:17.74, but finished just seconds away from advancing.

However, the senior’s efforts will not go unnoticed as she ranks fifth in UNM history.

Josh Kerr is the only Lobo in action on Friday. He will race in the finals in the men’s 1500 at 6:42 MT.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.