Track and Field: Frerichs set for professional debut; signs contract with Nike

Courtney Frerichs has continued to ride her extraordinary collegiate career and has raced right into the waiting arms of a contract with Nike.

The former Lobo runner who ran her way a team national championship in cross-country and an NCAA record in the 3,000 meter steeplechase, garnering an individual gold medal. Her time of 9 minutes 24.41 is sixth best in U.S. history.

Nike took notice to these feats and made Frerichs a member of the Bowerman Track Club, located in Portland, Oregon.

"I am very excited about continuing my running career with Nike and the Bowerman Track Club," Frerichs said in a statement. "I believe the opportunity to work with Jerry and Pascal will help me reach my goals as a runner. Working with the amazing women of the BTC will be a wonderful opportunity to learn more. I can't wait for the Olympic Trials and to start this new chapter in my career."

Instead of having Franklin heading her training regiments, this year it will be Bowemran Track club head coach Jerry Schumacher and Olympian Pascal Dobert, according to the release.

Though Frerichs only had one year under her belt as a member of New Mexico, she has solidified herself among the Lobo greats, arguably the best ever. Her fourth place finish at the cross-country championships is the highest ever by an individual, and her collegiate record at the 3,000 meter steeplechase is obviously the best in UNM history as well.

She owns four of the top-10 times in NCAA history in the 3k steeplechase between her time at UMKC and UNM.

Frerichs will make her professional debut at the qualifying rounds of the steeplechase in Eugene, Oregon on July 4. The finals are on July 7.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.