Track and Field: Frerichs atop Mountain Region athletes

While awaiting her chance to race for gold this weekend, Courtney Frerichs has been recognized as the NCAA Division I Mountain Region Women’s Track Athlete of the Year, the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Association announced on Monday.

The UMKC transfer currently owns the nation’s top time in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, and has been labeled the third fastest collegian in NCAA history. She changed the history books with her time of 9 minutes, 29.21 seconds at the Payton Jordan Invitational on May 1, in Stanford, California.

The senior has recorded three of the fastest eight times on the all-time NCAA lists, splitting time between New Mexico and UMKC.

Frerichs has now won her second regional athlete of the year award, the other coming from her time at UMKC. It will be her third NCAA Championships of her collegiate career after winning the NCAA West Preliminary Round on May 27, in Lawrence, Kansas.

The Nixa, Missouri native is slated to compete at 6:54 p.m. MT on Thursday in the semifinal round of the steeplechase, and a chance to compete in the finals during a 5:54 p.m. MT slot.

According to a UNM release, as of June 6, she is ranked No. 1 in the NCAA, No. 3 in the country, and No. 21 in the world for the 3,000 steeplechase this year.

Frerichs is the first UNM athlete to win the USTFCCC Mountain Region Athlete of the Year Award.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.