Letter: NM reporters must do a better job holding politicians accountable

Republican Gov. Susana Martinez will be visiting the University of New Mexico on Monday, Sept. 19, to hold a “press conference” touting her successful higher educational reforms? This P/R photo op comes just one week after UNM announced a staff/faculty hiring freeze, due to this failed state’s budget disaster!

Here in the reality-based community, Republican/Trickle Down/Supply Side/Voodoo Economics (tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations) do not create jobs or expand middle class opportunities, but instead saddle us with debt and budget spending cuts. Just look at New Mexico, Kansas, Louisiana? During the Republican Primary, not a single one of the 18 GOP candidates were ever asked about the budget crises in these GOP states?

Local quisling journalists (including the Daily Lobotomy) have failed to hold local leaders/politicos accountable for a plethora of failures on their watch! Whether it’s Gov. Martinez, Hizzoner Richard Berry, Democrats and Republicans on the City Council and in the State Legislature, along with UNM President Bob Frank, the Governor’s political hacks on the UNM Board of Regents, local reporters should grow a spine, file some FOIA’s. Journalism isn’t just tweeting all day.

In 2011, disgraced Republican Secretary of State Diana Duran -- who was convicted of fraud, embezzlement and money laundering -- claimed there was massive voter fraud. In 2016 the State of New Mexico claims that they can’t pay the $125,000 judgement against the secretary’s office!

It was UNM Regent President Rob Doughty who defended Duran in court, and was involved in a Political Action committee that supported her. Why hasn’t the independent student voice of UNM, the Lobo, ever reported on any of these conflicts of interest?

In 2013, the state of New Mexico accused mental health providers of claiming fraud. In 2014 President Frank awarded Gov. Martinez a major award for expanding healthcare in rural areas, even though she disrupted care for thousands of residents! In 2016, the accused providers were actually cleared! Has she ever answered for this?

Martinez has claimed that just decriminalizing the marijuana plant, one of the largest cash crops in the United States, would be a “horrible, horrible idea”? Up North, Colorado collected $1 Billion in revenue in 2015!

Is Martinez aware that the 80 year prohibition of marijuana is rooted in nativism and xenophobia against Mexican Americans/Immigrants?

Martinez blamed the President for the failure of the 2013 Bi-partistan immigration reform bill, that was actually killed by the GOP House Freedom Caucus, that includes the incomparable U.S. Rep. Steve Pearce!

Martinez doesn’t believe in anthropomorphic climate change, even though the science is clear. She opposed LGBTQ equality and civil rights because of her ‘Christian’ religious beliefs, yet when it comes to helping Syrian refugees of War, Torture, and Terror, she sticks to the GOP talking point that they’re terrorists?

As long as the Republican Party continues to use religious beliefs to oppress American women, they’re just as guilty of human rights violations as extremists who use Islam to commit atrocities against women/girls. The right to a safe and legal abortion is not a religious issue, but it is a human rights issue.

Has anyone asked Governor Martinez about Zika lately?

On June 3rd, the same day the 2016 Republican GOP Nominee attacked a U.S. Federal Judge born in Queens, N.Y. (Just like Donald Trump) for being a Mexican, Gov. Martinez stated she was looking forward to meeting with Trump, after he had previously attacked her. On May 24 Martinez stated, “I’ll tell you one thing. I can tell you I’m not voting for Hilary Clinton.” Why would Martinez support an alt-right fascist over a moderate Democrat? Have any New Mexico reporters ever followed up on this?

Gov. Martinez is the chairwoman of the Republican Governor’s Association. Just last Saturday, Republican Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin spoke at the “Values” Voter Summit stating that if Hillary Clinton was elected president, she would set the nation on a dangerous course that might require political violence and bloodshed to correct? “Whose blood will be shed? It may be that of those in this room. It might be that of our children and grandchildren. I have nine children,” he said. “It breaks my heart to think that it might be their blood that is needed to redeem something, to reclaim something that we, through our apathy and our indifference, have given away. Don’t let it happen.”

Does Gov. Martinez condone these calls for violence, by an elected American official, and fellow GOP Governor?

Have any local New Mexico reporters asked Martinez about this? Do they have phones? Fax machines? Emails?

Brian Fejer

UNM alumnus

#MakeNewMexicoGreatAgain