News Brief: UNM welcomes German educators

According to a UNM press release, the Global Education Office, in partnership with the College of Education and the German-American Institute, recently sponsored a visit from 12 German educators to UNM.

“My ultimate goal was to tap into as many sources that I can to promote global understanding,” German native and GEO Program Specialist Susi Knoblauch is quoted as saying in the press release, “I want people across the globe to know New Mexico and the special university we are here at UNM. Hopefully this program recruits people to come study with us.”

The Germans were introduced to Albuquerque on their first day, visiting the Rail Yards, downtown, Old Town and the National Hispanic Cultural Center, according to the press release. The next day they were introduced to UNM.

According to the release, during a campus tour one of the participants described the University as looking like a “resort,” and “somewhere you would go on a holiday.” The group was also given an overview of New Mexico’s history and culture.

Some of the events the Germans attended included lectures on Native American culture, language, and literature in New Mexico and the Southwest, hosted by UNM professor Christine Sims.

According to the release, visiting various sites around the state was a priority for the group. They visited Taos, the Santa Fe Opera, Los Poblanos Farms, the Sandia Peak Tramway, and many of the Native American reservations.

Before the trip ended, the group was invited to learn about juvenile justice by witnessing a few local cases in Judge William Parnall’s courtroom, and also had the chance to observe a courtroom in the tribal court of the Acoma pueblo and compare the different justice systems.

According to the press release, with a better understanding and experiences of New Mexico, the educators felt they had the ability to better share stories of the Southwest and the role UNM plays in educating people.

Matthew Reisen is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @MrMojoReisen.