Monday on the Street: Character vs art

Should a person’s work be judged by their character?

Noah Baldonado, freshman, music performance

“No, you shouldn’t judge it by their character. It’s okay not to like the person, as a person, but that doesn’t mean to hate their stuff just because they’re a bad person.”

Brandon Gutierrez, sophomore, music composition

“That’s kind of tricky, an example would be like Kanye West. How Kanye West is kind of like an ass but, I’ll admit, the guy is a genius. So I would say no, you can’t base someone’s work off of their character, although those two can go hand in hand really. But I think no, for the most part.”

Ana Jenkins, sophomore, undecided

“I feel like what their specialty is kinda makes a difference in how people see them. If you’re an actor or a musician and you’re an asshole, people are more willing to disregard it and be like, 'That’s fine, because you make this really good work.’ If you’re an athlete I feel like it’s slightly less acceptable. I could be wrong, but I feel like it’s different based on whatever you’re good at.”

Kaliana Banks, junior, exercise science

“I guess how I see it, I take into account that, yeah, that person may not be the best person. They don’t contribute to charities or use their money in the best way possible, but I do also take into account that yeah they did produce something that is actually worth looking at and appreciating. I’m not going to deplete them, I guess I take both into account.”