Allie Sipe, a Southern Oregon University, demonstrates some of her work for Scribendi this fall. Sipe is the first non-UNM student who was chosen to work on the magazine’s staff in its 30-year history.

Historic moment for student publication

For the first time, outside student joins Scribendi staff

For the first time, a non-UNM student has become a part of Scribendi, the annual literary and arts magazine produced by the UNM Honors College.

As part of the Western Regional Honors Council National Student 
Exchange, Southern Oregon University student Allie Sipe is the magazine’s first visiting staff member.

She will return to SOU in the spring of 2017, but during the fall semester, she will be working alongside UNM students, helping to compile submissions for the nonprofit magazine that publishes poetry, photography, short fiction, and more from over 800 WRHC and National Collegiate Honors Council institutions.

“Because we publish student work from across the nation, we also want to give those students the opportunity to work on the magazine that celebrates our overall community. So, we were ecstatic when Allie was interested,” said Scribendi Editor-in-Chief.

Sipe, a senior English major, said she is excited to be a part the nationally acclaimed, award-winning magazine. She is particularly grateful to SOU Honors College Director Ken Mulliken and UNM Assistant Professor Amaris Ketcham for their support.

“Everyone has been so welcoming and supportive,” Ketcham said. “This exchange is awesome for Scribendi and for the SOU Honors College, because it marks the beginning of a national partnership. The more we can get different ideas, perspectives and experiences exchanged, the better it is for everyone involved. I hope this opportunity can continue for many more students to come.”

Ketcham said Sipe joining Scribendi is monumental for the University.

“It shows that UNM has programs that are so interesting and challenging that undergraduates want to come from across the nation to participate in them. Scribendi is a very unique student organization and classroom — the experience that students partake in is unparalleled,” she said.

With hands-on publication production, the ”Scribendi experience” differs from the usual academic class because of its focus on active learning, she said, all in a professional learning environment, with rigorous discussion, individual effort, and professional teamwork all playing vital roles.

Originally from a small town in Northern California, Sipe said she hopes her roots, as well as experience, with a small liberal arts community at SOU can bring that “small town perspective” to the staff at Scribendi.

“Treating each person with respect and support so that we, as a team, can create something awesome,” she said.

Sipe also hopes that, in turn, Scribendi will expand her perspective, connect her to others and develop her career and design skills.

Magel said, even in the early stages of publication, Sipe has been committed and has worked tirelessly in her time at Scribendi. Magel is looking forward to Sipe’s outside perspective during the selection process.

Ketcham said she will miss Sipe’s sense of humor and ability to bring people together when she returns to the northwest in the spring. She said she hopes Sipe will remain connected with the Albuquerque arts community and UNM.

“She’s already been such an important, integral part of our team, and not having her with us for the last semester is going to be difficult. It’s like a member of your family leaving for an indefinite amount of time,” Magel said. “But getting to know her, even for just one semester, will have been more than worth it.”

Ketcham said she hopes many more students will be attracted to UNM because of Scribendi, and out of desire to learn about literary publishing.

“When we have people come from across the country to participate in our intellectual and artistic communities, it reflects well on our University, our city, and our state,” she said.

Elizabeth Sanchez is a reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Beth_A_Sanchez.