Football: Pair of Lobos garner Player of the Week honors

The Lobos registered a pair of individual performance honors on Monday after some strong season opening showings, according to a release.

Linebacker Dakota Cox and kicker Jason Sanders were named Mountain West Defensive and Special Teams Player of the Week, respectively.

Prior to the season, Cox said one of his goals was to lead the team in tackles for an unprecedented fourth consecutive year, and he got off to a great start in achieving that goal Thursday against South Dakota.

The senior linebacker led the way in tackles with 14, nine of which were solo. He also delivered a blind side hit on the quarterback forcing a fumble, in addition to a diving interception in a later drive.

The Lobos converted both turnovers into points and used the opportunity to continue creating distance between the teams in a 48-21 victory over the Coyotes.

Sanders was perfect in the kicking game. He converted on all six of his point-after touchdown attempts and knocked through a pair of short field goals, from distances of 27 and 22 yards.

He also limited the Coyotes’ return game, as South Dakota only elected to return one kick.

In perhaps a bit of a surprise, Teriyon Gipson did not get the nod for Offensive Player of the Week despite gobbling up 181 yards on just eight carries. He found the end zone twice on runs of 75 and 84 yards.

On the offensive side of the ball, Wyoming’s Josh Allen took Player of the Week honors. He ended a triple overtime thriller with a seven-yard touchdown run to secure a 40-34 win over Northern Illinois.

Robert Maler is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers cross country, football, tennis, and track and field. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @robert_maler.