Monday on the Street: Tailgating etiquette

Are student tailgate parties conducted responsibly?

Levi Bruce, sophomore, emergency medical science

“They are as responsible as they can be, I guess. I feel like they could be handled with more organization, because people really don’t know when it starts. You’re going to have underage drinking wherever there’s large groups of people. Parties are going to have underage drinking. Kids are going to be kids.”

Ruben Salcido, freshman, business

“I think they are pretty okay. I haven’t had any problems with anything or been offered anything like that. I think if you really want to do that stuff, then yeah you can, but if you want to stay away from it, you can as well.”

Susana Perez, junior, international studies

“Being responsible with only letting 21-and-over (students) have alcohol, I think they should regulate that more just because people get in fights. And regulate the trash, because that’s everywhere, there are bottles being thrown everywhere. I’ve been to one and it got really crazy — there was a big fight going on, and also there’s a lot of younger people, non-UNM students that go and tailgate.”

Brandon Rowe, sophomore, music

“I know there’s always a lot of students there and there’s always alcohol and everything. I’m part of the marching band so I get to see it every time. It seems like a good time, but also unsafe if they don’t get a ride home. Maybe if there was more ways to get transportation out of there, that’s just my opinion about it. As long as they’re safe and they have a way to get home.”

Eli Stewart, senior, biology

“I’m fine with people having a good time, I’m not fine with the way that people act. The University should take measures to protect students and facilitate better than they do, which they don’t.”