Redshirt sophomore running back Tyrone Owens lands back in the end zone after jumping up and celebrating the Lobos’ first touchdown against Boise State on Friday, Oct. 7, 2016 at University Stadium. The Lobos will play their third conference game against Air Force this Saturday in Dallas, Texas.

Football: Lobos prep for contest against Air Force

New Mexico football looks to get back in the win column as the nation’s number one rushing attack meets the top-ranked rushing defense at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas on Saturday.

The Lobos (2-3, 1-1 Mountain West) have the best running game in college football, touting a healthy 354 yards per game. But something has to give, as Air Force (4-1, 1-1 Mountain West) has only allowed 80.2 yards per game on the ground, also tops in the country.

Both teams rely heavily on the option, and are proficient in both running and stopping the run. But the game might actually come down to which team makes the most of its opportunities in the passing game.

Head coach Bob Davie said that has been a trend so far this season. New Mexico’s struggle this year has been passing and defending the pass.

Last week, Boise State quarterback Brett Rypien torched the Lobos for 391 yards and five passing touchdowns — almost all of which came in the first half — en route to a 49-21 victory.

The team has allowed deep touchdown passes in every game thus far. Defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said both coaches and players have to be more precise and improve on execution.

“Our execution has to get better,” he said. “We as coaches have to do a better job of making sure our guys know exactly what to do.”

While giving up big plays has been a concern, Cosgrove and Davie both cited penalties as a growing area of concern. Too often, opponents have been able to extend drives off penalties, usually on third down when the defense has a chance to get off the field.

The neutral site might be an advantage for the Lobos since the team may not have to deal with a raucous crowd. At the very least, the team can take solace in the fact that it won’t be playing in Falcon Stadium, where Air Force has won its last 15 home games.

The Lobos might finally get some of its key players back as well. Cornerback Jadon Boatright could be back on the field this week after a serious turf toe injury. His return should help a secondary that has likely lost Isaiah “I.B.” Brown for a few weeks due to injury.

Teriyon Gipson seemed to be chomping at the bit to get back into action after missing last week’s contest against Boise State. He said he felt good enough to go last week, but was held out as a precaution to make sure he was good to go for the rest of the season.

“I’m back this week, full-go,” the running back said. “I’m ready...we’re ready.”

He said New Mexico has a dynamic running game full of talented backs, and Air Force has to respect the fact that they can take it 80 yards at any given time.

Austin Apodaca said he feels like he is ready to go, although Davie said the quarterback might be still be another week away. Apodaca suffered a shoulder injury on a sack late against Rutgers.

Under Davie, the Lobos have split the four matchups against the Falcons, with each team winning two games.

Both teams enter Saturday’s 1:30 p.m. matchup coming off a conference loss, which makes the outcome critical for both schools. Air Force was upset by Wyoming 35-26 in its last game, while New Mexico fell to Boise State 49-21.

Robert Maler is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers cross country, football, tennis and track and field. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @robert_maler.