Redshirt midfielder Chris Wehan celebrates with his teammates after he lands the Lobos' first goal against South Carolina Sunday, Oct. 30, 2016 at the UNM Soccer Complex. 

Men's Soccer: Lobos remain undefeated at home with 2-1 win over South Carolina

The New Mexico men’s soccer team grabbed a big win Sunday night after earning a 2-1 decision over the No. 25 South Carolina Gamecocks.

With the win, the Lobos (9-6-1, 3-3-1 Conference USA) remain undefeated at home. They now have 10 points and hold the fifth spot in the conference standings.

South Carolina (9-6-1 overall, 4-2-1 C-USA) dropped to third with 13 points. The Charlotte 49ers (11-2-1, 6-1 C-USA) currently lead the conference with 18 points.

“I thought the guys executed, but we should’ve had a few more goals,” UNM head coach Jeremy Fishbein said. “You can’t say frustrating, but that’s going to be the piece — down the stretch we have to take our chances. We have to be good in front of the net, but I’m proud of the guys. We kind of got through a tough spell.”

Last season, the Lobos fell to the Gamecocks twice; a 2-1 overtime loss during the regular season, then a 1-0 loss during the first round of the conference tournament.

Those disappointing results made Sunday night’s victory particularly sweet for midfielder Chris Wehan.

“Last year at South Carolina we got a little unfortunate in overtime to lose that one, and then in the conference tournament to actually end our season,” he said. “Just to kind of get some payback on that, it was nice. It was a good feeling.”

Wehan, who was last year’s leading scorer with 10 goals, gave the Lobos their first step toward victory when he recorded his fifth goal of this season in the 38th minute.

“It was a great ball from Sam (Gleadle),” he said. “I was just happy I could score it and get us on the board.”

The first half ended with New Mexico up by one goal and leading 8-3 in shots. Lobo goalkeeper Jason Beaulieu didn’t have to make any saves during the period.

The Lobos held on to the lead until the 58th minute when South Carolina’s forward Bjorn Gudjonsson, assisted by defender Ive Burnett, sent a header into the left corner of the net. It was Gudjonsson’s sixth goal of the season.

Forward Niko Hansen — an offensive force for the Lobos all season — found the winning goal in the 66th minute with a shot that went deep into the bottom right corner of the net. South Carolina’s William Pyle dove in an attempt to make the save, but was not quick enough.

The goal marked the senior’s 10th of the season.

"It’s a team effort,” Hansen said. “Everyone really works so hard and it’s great to find one for the team. That’s what it’s always about.”

The night ended with New Mexico outshooting South Carolina 18-7. Pyle recorded six saves, while Beaulieu only registered one.

Fishbein was pleased with the overall result, but said there is always room for improvement, especially with the conference tournament on the horizon.

"(A 2-1 score) is really not indicative of the game. That was a game we needed to put away early — that's kind of been our Achilles heel, finishing good chances,” the head coach said. “That being said, I'm proud of the guys. We had two fantastic goals tonight and good defending. On to the next one.”

Isabel Gonzalez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She mainly covers men’s soccer and basketball. She can be reached at sports
@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cisabelg.