Brief: Multi-million-dollar award given to UNM Center for Quantum Information and Control

According to a University press release, UNM’s Center for Quantum Information and Control is getting a multi-million-dollar grant, which will allow UNM to stay at the forefront in the field of quantum information science.

Quantum information science is the innovative field of being able to manipulate and control individual atoms and other microscopic systems to do jobs in communications, sensing and computation, according to the release.

The release states the $2.2 million, five-year award from the National Science Foundation makes CQuIC a “Focused Research Hub in Theoretical Physics,” one of just two in the United States.

This will allow UNM researchers the opportunity to delve more deeply into quantum science and to make new progress toward the goal of quantum computing, according to the release.

CQuIC, formed in 2009, is based at UNM with an extension at the College of Optical Sciences at the University of Arizona, the release states.

Researchers at both institutions, along with partners at Sandia and Los Alamos National Labs, work together on the theoretical aspects of quantum information and with the experimental part of the puzzle, according to the release.

This collaboration, combined with the new NSF grant, sets CQuIC apart from its competitors, allowing faculty and students to continue to make serious progress in the field.

A branch of UNM’s Department of Physics and Astronomy, CQuIC is housed in the department’s existing building on North Campus, a facility that is slated to be replaced by the new Physics and Astronomy facility, according to the release.

According to the release, PAIS — a new state-of-the-art research and teaching center — will provide CQuIC’s faculty with a new and modern space to continue to advance their research.

Matthew Reisen is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @MReisen88.