Crime Briefs for Oct. 27

Crime Briefs for Oct. 27, 2016

Commercial burglary at Mitchell Hall

On the evening of Oct. 20, a UNMPD officer was sent to Mitchell Hall in reference to a vandalized vending machine, according to a police report. The officer arrived and noticed the machine’s glass door was open and the currency depository box had been broken into. The lock on the machine’s bottom right side was punched out.

The emptied coin container was under the machine, and while there was no change in the depository, $18 was left in the machine. A student said when he passed by the machine around 4 p.m., it was not damaged. A UNM Dining and Food Services affiliate who determines when the machines need to be restocked arrived on the scene and informed the officer that KRL Vending owned and operated campus vending machines.

The machine could not be secured; thus, all remaining food and currency were taken to the Dining and Food Services office at the SUB. The owner of KRL Vending was called and did not respond, according to the report.

It is unknown how much food or money was stolen. No witnesses or suspects have been identified.

Criminal trespass at Tamarind Institute

On the afternoon of Oct. 21, officers were dispatched to Tamarind Institute, in reference to two homeless males, according to a UNMPD report. One male was “passed out” in the flower garden on the west side of the building.

After officers awoke the male, they identified him as the recipient of a letter which banned him from the premises, the report states. UNMPD issued the letter in August, which stated the male is no longer welcome on any part of the UNM campus.

According to the report, The male was arrested and booked for criminal trespass without incident.

Battery on a healthcare worker at UNMH

On Oct. 19, an officer was dispatched to the emergency room at UNMH in reference to a battery on a healthcare worker, according to a UNMPD report.

According to the report, the officer was told that hospital security guards had subdued a male suspect on the ground after he hit a nurse outside of the entrance to the ER. The officer saw the male was outside of the ER entrance, handcuffed and face down on the ground. Hospital employees and security officers were also outside.

The UNMPD officer spoke with a female nurse who said the male subject — who was not a registered patient and was not waiting to be seen by ER staff — entered the triage area earlier.

The male demanded someone drive him to a local hotel. According to the report, when the nurse asked the male if he needed to be seen in the ER, he said, “No, nothing is wrong with me. I just need a ride to a hotel.”

He was then offered a phone call for a ride.

A separate synopsis section of the police report states that the male was initially asked to leave the ER area by UNMH staff, which he responded to by violently confronting the staff members.

Battery at Lobo Village

On the evening of Oct. 19, a student entered the UNMPD station and reported an incident that occurred on Oct. 17, according to a report.

The student said he and his roommates were watching football at their apartment at Lobo Village and playfully teasing each other about their teams. One roommate was standing in the doorway and became particularly upset at some point in the discussion.

This roommate stared at the student who reported the incident, who was cooking at the time. The angry roommate approached him, kicked a skateboard at him, placed him in a headlock and punched him on the side of the head several times, according to the report.

The other roommates intervened, stopping the confrontation. The victim said he initially reported it to the apartment manager and later spoke with his father, who suggested he report it to UNMPD as well.

None of the roommates have been contacted as of press time.

~Compiled by Elizabeth Sanchez