Football: UNM offense explodes in regular season finale for win

The Lobos rushed to a 56-35 victory over the Wyoming Cowboys, earning a piece of the Mountain Division title in Saturday night’s regular season finale.

They made school history in the process.

“Before we delve into the game, you have to take a look at the bigger picture of it all, and it’s unbelievable really,” head coach Bob Davie said. “We've won eight games and have a chance to win a ninth game. We shared a piece of this division title. It's pretty good and I appreciate these kids and these coaches. I'm not sure people realize what they've done.”

It had been 19 years since New Mexico got its last title, and the 11 conference wins the program has achieved over the last two seasons marks a new school record.

The Lobos needed a big night to hang onto the label of top rushing team, and did so emphatically, posting 568 rushing yards on the ground — the most in the FBS this season and the most the Cowboys have ever allowed.

“Offensively, wow. Wow, wow,” Davie said after the game. “Close to 700 yards of offense and well over 500 yards rushing.”

New Mexico currently leads the nation with 4,331 rushing yards. The second highest team, Navy, has 3,762.

Junior Lamar Jordan started the game as quarterback for the Lobos. He went on to rush 12 times, achieving a career-best of 176 yards on the ground. He was also efficient through the air, completing 4-of-5 passes for 122 yards and a touchdown.

The Lobos opened up the night with a bang, finishing the first quarter with a 21-0 lead over the Cowboys.

Richard McQuarley scored the first two touchdowns; first with a 1-yard run with 13:23 on the clock, then with a career long 53-yard run to give UNM a 14-0 lead.

He added another 1-yard score after Wyoming muffed a punt, giving him 16 rushing touchdowns this season and 23 for his Lobo career.

Teriyon Gipson broke free for a 73-yard run late in the first quarter, finishing the drive with a 1-yard touchdown run with 1:18 remaining. He ended the night with 217 yards on the ground, a new career high.

The Cowboys finally found the end zone with a 4-yard touchdown run by quarterback Josh Allen at the 12:12 mark in the second quarter, making a pair of Lobo defenders miss on the third down play.

The Lobos responded with a 39-yard touchdown run by Diquon Woodhouse, and took a 35-7 lead into halftime after a 59-yard touchdown run by Gipson.

New Mexico recorded the only touchdown pass of the night on a trick play when Q’ Drennan hauled in a 49-yard pass from Lamar Jordan early in in the third quarter to go up 42-7.

Wyoming answered by scoring the next two touchdowns. Brian Hill carried the ball in from seven yards out, and then the Cowboys capitalized on a Lobo fumble to score again on a 10-yard run by Austin Conway to pull within 42-21.

New Mexico responded four plays later as Jordan beat the defense for a 53-yard touchdown run to extend the lead to 49-21.

The teams traded 1-yard touchdown runs the rest of the way. Wyoming’s Hill scored twice, while McQuarley tallied his third touchdown on the night. But the Cowboys had already dug too deep a hole to mount a comeback.

Saturday’s win had to feel especially good for the 29 seniors, who Davie said have made a big impact in the program.

“I look at these fifth-year seniors… and the program was 3-37 in the four years leading up to me trying to get these guys to come here,” he said. “Five years later, we can share the Mountain Division championship. That's a pretty good ride. It's an unbelievable accomplishment.”

Isabel Gonzalez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She mainly covers men’s soccer and basketball. She can be reached at sports
@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cisabelg.