Redshirt junior guard Alex Lapeyrolerie attempts an inside jump shot against San Diego State University Saturday, Dec. 31, 2016 at WisePies Arena. The Lobos will face off with Utah State in hopes to obtain their third conference win. 

Basketball: Lobo women eye third straight Mountain West victory

The UNM women's basketball team will attempt to start 2017 off the same way it ended last year—seeking another conference win at home Wednesday night.

New Mexico (6-6, 2-0 MW) posted back-to-back wins for the first time since opening the season 2-0 and can improve to 3-0 to open conference play with a win over Utah State (8-5, 1-1 MW).

The Lobos lead the all-time series over Utah State 13-6, in a rivalry that dates back to the 1974-75 season. Last season, the two teams split the conference series with each team winning on its own home floor.

Utah State took round one, 72-59, in Logan, Utah, but New Mexico exacted revenge by taking a 73-70 win at WisePies Arena.

Both teams are coming off impressive home wins over conference foes. The Lobos destroyed San Diego State in a lopsided 85-42 victory at home, while the Aggies pulled out a 65-62 decision over Air Force.

UNM junior guard Cherise Beynon turned in arguably her best performance over the season. She nearly recorded a triple-double, putting up 23 points, nine rebounds, eight assists and four steals before sitting out much of the fourth quarter.

The game was already a blowout at that point, and head coach Mike Bradbury looked to get some of his bench players some minutes and give his star guard a well-deserved rest.

Beynon is the Lobos’ top scorer, averaging 15.4 points per game so far this season, followed closely by senior center Senior Richelle van der Keijl at 14.7. Beynon also leads the team with 7.5 assists and is second in rebounding with 8.2 per game.

In addition to leading her team in assists, her average also tops in the Mountain West conference. She is also fourth in the league in scoring and rebounding.

Van der Keijl had a relatively quiet night, scoring just eight points and collecting five rebounds—statistically one of her lowest outputs of the season. She was efficient though, going 4-of-5 from the floor, and also tallied four blocks in just 21 minutes of action.

The 6’5” center, could be a potent weapon against Utah State if she can utilize her size advantage. Van der Keijl, the team’s top rebounder, stands three inches taller than Utah State’s most effective rebounder, center Shannon Dufficy.

Dufficy has been remarkable on the boards, too. She's third in the Mountain West in rebounding at 9.5 per game, just behind van der Keijl who is averaging 9.8.

Utah State plays a deep rotation with nearly every player averaging double-digit minutes played. Although it doesn’t have a standout scorer on the roster, the team benefits from having a balanced attack in which any player can step up.

Sophomore guard Rachel Brewster leads the Aggies in points per game, averaging 12.3, while Dufficy is second on the team at 9.9.

Utah State is also a solid 3-point shooting team, with five players shooting 40 percent or better from behind the arc. It could have an advantage in that aspect of the game as the Lobos have connected on less than 30 percent of its long-range shots as a team.

But the Lobos are a better shooting team overall, shooting 40.3 percent from the field, while holding its opponents to 34.3 percent. The Aggies average 39.1 percent as a team but seem to play at a slower pace, comparatively.

The game could hinge on which team controls the tempo. The Lobos score about 70.9 points per game compared to 61.6 by the Aggies.

New Mexico will likely look to use its height to crash the boards, an important ingredient to the team’s success. The Lobos haul in 47.8 rebounds per game, while Utah State is averaging 39.2.

If the game comes down to free throws, Utah State is a decidedly better foul shooting team. The Aggies hit about 67.7 percent of its free throws, while the Lobos have struggled, connecting on just 56.8 of their attempts.

Injury update: Alex Lapeyrolerie is in concussion protocol, according to Bradbury. She will not be available for the game and there is no timetable for her return.

The Lobos and Aggies tip-off at 7 p.m. in WisePies Arena aka The Pit Wednesday, Jan. 4. The game will also be streamed live on the Mountain West Network.

Matthew Narvaiz is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women's basketball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz