Crime Briefs for Feb. 23

Robbery, Aggravated Battery and Breaking and Entering at Sigma Chi

On the early morning of Feb. 10, an officer was dispatched to the Sigma Chi fraternity house in reference to a 911 call transferred from APD concerning a battery, according to a UNMPD report. When the officer arrived, the female 911 caller said she received a call from her daughter who claimed she was pushed out of a moving vehicle near Avenida Cesar Chavez and Walter Street. The mother said after she spoke with her daughter, she decided to wake her younger children up and drive to meet her older daughter, who walked to a Motel 6 on Avenida Cesar Chavez and I-25.

After picking her daughter up, the mother said she called UNMPD by using the OnStar feature in her vehicle when she explained the situation, also noting that the individuals who were in the car with her daughter also had her daughter’s house and car keys. She also requested police presence to ensure the keys were returned. The mother was transferred to UNMPD when she stated her new location at the Sigma Chi fraternity house.

When an officer spoke with the daughter, she did not correct the officer about her being forced out of the moving vehicle. However, she later clarified that the other individuals tried to push her out of the car, so when the vehicle was stopped at a red light, she stepped out.

The report also confirmed the two individuals in the car with the young woman used force and violence to take $40 from her. Later, one of these individuals broke into her apartment and entered.

Assault at Sigma Chi

On the early morning of Feb. 10, while the above investigation was occurring, the individual who broke into the young girl’s apartment was also accused of threatening a male, according to a UNMPD report. According to the male who reported it, he was threatened after the other individual was informed that his car may be towed. The individual is not a member of the fraternity, but was allowed to live at Sigma Chi during the 2016 fall semester, he said. The male said the individual had already been asked to leave the location at the beginning of the new year, but he had not left. His immobile vehicle has also been sitting in the front parking lot for three months with a flat tire.

The male said when he informed the individual that the fraternity voted to have the car towed, the individual sent a threatening message, which he showed to police. An officer asked him to email the messages to UNMPD. The police report dubs the text message as “threatening or menacing,” causing the male “to reasonably believe that he is in danger of receiving an immediate battery.”

Still, the male does not wish to press charges; he simply wanted UNMPD to be aware of the situation, especially because the individual will be given an eviction notice quite soon and may not have a positive reaction. The case is closed at this time.

Child Abuse at UNM Hospital

On the evening of Feb. 12, two officers were sent to the Pediatric Specialty Care Unit at UNMH in reference to a domestic experience, according to a report. When the officers arrived, a UNMH security officer said that the parties were separated, with the mother and their 10-month-old child in the conference room. The officer asked the mother to recount what occurred earlier that day.

The mother said she discovered her boyfriend was speaking inappropriately with other women on Facebook. This sparked an argument, which later touched upon topics like his family and substance abuse. She said, later, she was sitting on the corner of one of the beds the hospital provides for parents who would like to sleep near their ill children. Her boyfriend was sitting in a chair in the same room, and the arguing started again, she said. She said she was not responding to him, which made him angry. During the arguing, her boyfriend lowered the rail on the child’s crib, causing her to fall out and strike her head on the floor.

- Compiled by Elizabeth Sanchez