Baseball: Lobos move on to face another tough opponent on the road

For the second week in a row, a Lobo baseball player was named Mountain West Player of the Week.

Junior Luis Gonzalez – who plays in the outfield and also pitches for the Lobos (4-2) – was recognized for his performance over the weekend at Dallas Baptist, despite the Lobos dropping two of their three games against the Patriots.

Gonzalez gave DBU problems all weekend, going 8-for-11 (.727) at the plate, while also contributing a home run, two doubles, three runs and two runs batted in as part of his efforts.

He has been one of the most efficient players at the plate so far this season, ranking second in the Mountain in on-base percentage (.567) and third in the conference in hitting (.455).

Up next

The Lobos will be playing one game matchup on Tuesday, Feb. 28 at 1 p.m. in Lubbock, Texas against No. 10 Texas Tech.

It is the second straight top-25 opponent for New Mexico and the seventh game against a team that qualified for postseason play last year, a release said.

The teams have a storied history and will face each other in a game for the 20th consecutive season. The Lobos won just one of the four meeting last year, including a 4-3 loss in the NCAA regional matchup against the Red Raiders.

Texas Tech (8-1) are off to a fast start on the season, with its only loss coming to Mississippi State. They also already have a win against Lobo in-state rival New Mexico State, as TTU pounded the Aggies last Tuesday, 16-1.

The Red Raiders have been lethal at the plate, averaging about eight and a half runs per game. TTU has scored 10 or more runs in four of its nine games so far.

Perhaps equally as impressive, has been the team’s ability to shut down opponents, with the Red Raiders allowing well under three runs per game.

TTU starting pitcher Steven Gingery recently took home Big 12 Pitcher of the Week honors, after retiring 16 of the 17 17 batters he faced in a 5-1 win over California on Saturday, according to a release. He struck out seven and allowed just one run in the game and has a 1.29 ERA on the season.

The Lobos enter the game coming off losses in two of their last three—including a heartbreaking extra-innings loss on Sunday afternoon.

New Mexico scored three runs in the top of the ninth inning to force extras again then No. 23 Dallas Baptist, and eventually pushed through to take a 6-4 lead in the top of the 11th inning.

But it all came crashing down in the bottom of the frame as the Patriots hit a 3-run walk-off home run to snatch a 7-6 victory.

The Lobos’ game against Texas Tech is set to be broadcasted live on ESPN Radio 101.7 The TEAM.

Matthew Narvaiz is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women's basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz