against Binghamton on Saturday  Feb 18 at Santa Anna Star Field
against Binghamton on Saturday Feb 18 at Santa Anna Star Field

Baseball: Lobos can't muster runs past first inning in loss to Texas Tech

After garnering a first-inning lead, Lobo baseball couldn't produce any more offense, going 1-for-9 with RISP as they fell to No. 10 Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas on Tuesday afternoon, 7-2.

Junior Carl Stajduhar was able to blast a two-run home run in the top of the first inning, but that's all the Lobos (4-3) would get as TTU (9-1) would score seven runs of their own in the innings to follow.

Junior Luis Gonzalez got the start on the mound for the Lobos, but he wasn't as polished as expected. He allowed a TTU home run in the bottom of the frame, but things really began to unravel in the third, when he allowed four runs to give the Red Raiders a 5-2 advantage.

Gonzalez, in his 2.2 innings on the mound, struck out four, gave up five runs on five hits, walked two and hit three batters.

Sophomore Austin Isenhart — who entered in relief for Gonzalez in the third — had himself a game. He was able to get the Lobos out of the jam after TTU scored the four runs in the inning. Isenhart, though, was able to throw four hitless innings before he gave one up in the eighth, when TTU scored two more runs. He left the game having allowed two runs, one hit, two walks and two hit batters in his 4.1 innings on the mound.

TTU scored two more runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to give them the eventual outcome of the game, beating the Lobos 7-2. Since starting the season with a three-game sweep at home, New Mexico is 1-3 on the road, having faced a pair of rough Texas collegiate ballclubs.

Only four Lobos were able to garner hits on Tuesday, and senior Jack Zoellner made the most of his, going 3-for-4 from the plate. Stajduhar, other than his first-inning blast, went 2-for-4, while freshman Beau Capanna and Gonzalez both got one hit a piece.

The Lobos open up Mountain West play this Friday, as they take on Air Force in a three-game series.

Matthew Narvaiz is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women's basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.