SWFC Preview: "Get A Job"

On Friday, the ASUNM Southwest Film Center will be screening 2016’s “Get a Job.” This film is directed by Dylan Kidd, whose credits include 2002’s “Roger Dodger,” 2004’s “P.S.,” and two episodes of the cult Adult Swim series “Children’s Hospital.”

The film tells the story of Will Davis (Miles Teller), a recent college graduate, who is eagerly setting foot into the real world of video production only to find that the position he was originally supposed to have was cut by the production company due to downsizing.

Desperate for work and money, Will and his girlfriend, Jillian (Anna Kendrick), begin taking hasty jobs and other odd work to survive and achieve their dreams. It goes without saying the film is an optimistic one.

This film has been widely panned by critics and suffered through five long years of production, and was considered to be dead on arrival by the time of its release. “Get a Job” had a limited release, which would explain its lack of notoriety.

As for who would like this film, it would be unfair to recommend it due to its reputation. It’s good for having on in the background, if nothing else. It’s a film for the sake of being a film, and if it’s a film you want, it’s a film you’ll get with this feature.

“Get a Job” will be playing at the SUB theater on Friday and Saturday at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m., and on Sunday at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.

Fin Martinez is the culture editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @FinMartinez.