Baseball: Lobos, Falcons combine for 52 hits, 40 runs as New Mexico wins Game 2 of series

In the second of this weekend’s 3-game series, New Mexico once again put on a show with their bats, beating Air Force in a game that lasted over four hours and saw 15 extra-base hits and five pitchers give up at least five runs. In the end, the Lobos would outslug the Falcons to win 24-16.

Both the Lobos (6-3, 2-0 MW) and Air Force (4-5, 0-2 MW) combined for a whopping 52 hits and 40 runs, though the Lobos got the better end of the stick.

Eight Lobos had three hits or more in the game, but none were more impressive than juniors Luis Gonzalez and Carl Stajduhar, who both had four hits apiece.

Gonzalez went 4-for-5 from the plate with three runs and three RBI, while Stajduhar contributed two runs scored and five RBI with his 4-hit performance.

After Air Force scored 15 runs in the first three innings, freshman reliever Justin Slaten stepped in during the fifth and pitched his way to a Lobos’ victory. But help would come from freshman catcher Robby Campillo, too.

“Freshmen won the game for us today,” head coach Ray Birmingham said in a press release. “Justin Slaten got his first college win and Robby Campillo was a big part of it because he blocked all of those sliders Slaten threw like a champ with the go-ahead run on third — he did it like a big-leaguer. Plus, he came with up with the go-ahead hit in the ninth. That’s big time.”

Slaten entered the game when the Lobos held a 16-15 lead in the bottom of the fifth. Air Force had the tying run on third and another on first in the inning with one out. Slaten managed to produce a double play that would keep the tight lead intact.

Slaten then pitched a solid 1-2-3 sixth and escaped a bases-loaded jam in the bottom of the seventh, with the Lobos still holding a 16-15 lead.

Slaten would allow a lead-off home run to let Air Force tie the game at 16 a piece, but that’s all they would get on the freshman pitcher.

After the Lobos loaded the bases in the top of the ninth, Campillo would hit a go-ahead RBI single to put the Lobos up 17-16.

Insurance runs would come in a big way for New Mexico, as the team went on to score seven more runs in the inning to go up 24-16, effectively Air Force’s chances at a comeback.

The 24 runs for the Lobos is the most the program has scored since April 18, 2010, when New Mexico beat Coppin State 29-3.

The Lobos will look for a series sweep of the Falcons and keep their undefeated home record intact in the series finale on Sunday at 1 p.m. The game will be broadcasted live on ESPN Radio 101.7 The TEAM.

Matthew Narvaiz is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.