Lobos crush Fresno St in series opener

To say it was cold at Santa Ana Star Field on Friday evening would be an understatement. But, for the Lobos, that didn't seem to matter, as they dismantled Fresno State by a 20 run margin – 24-4.

Friday's win marked six straight and a perfect win-loss record in the Mountain West for UNM (17-9, 10-0 MW).

Friday's win came on the heels of a well-rounded game both offensively and defensively.

The Lobos succeeded in snatching 22 hits on 45 plate appearances. On the mound, UNM held Fresno State to four runs on nine hits.

Three different Lobos were able to grab four hits, too, in Luis Gonzalez (4-for-5), Andrew Pratt (4-for-5) and Jared Mang (4-for-6). Mang, however, managed to tally four runs and four RBI’s. And Pratt tallied five RBI’s and two runs as part of his efforts. Five other Lobos were able to muster one hit or more, too.

The bottom of our lineup hit really good,” head coach a Ray Birmingham said. “[Gonzalez] did a great job … and Jared Mang was awesome, and [Andrew] Pratt.”

But when it came to pitching, the Lobos held their own on the mound. Starting pitcher Tyler Stevens (4-2) – who saw seven complete innings on the mound – gave up three runs and five hits, though all of those runs came in the first inning. Drew Gillespie finished out the game for UNM, allowing only four hits and one run, which came in the final inning of play.

After UNM gave up three runs in the top of the first inning, the Lobos rallied back in the bottom of the frame, scoring six of their own. The bottom of the frame began with a double from Gonzalez, though it was highlighted by a two-RBI single from Pratt that scored both Andre Gregory and Jack Zoellner.

And the scoring didn't stop for UNM either. They would tack on four more runs in the second inning and one run in the fourth before exploding for 13 combined runs in the sixth and seventh innings.

All the while UNM was putting on an offensive showing, its pitching was deadly. The fifth and seventh innings were capped by 1-2-3 innings, and four of Fresno State’s nine hits were produced in the eighth and ninth inning.

But Birmingham believes this series is a must-win for UNM to keep its pace in the conference and during the season as a whole. He realizes Fresno State can still boast a tough challenge in the ensuing games.

“But we got to win this series because that team will come back and bite you right in the butt,” Birmingham said. “And they're not going to be happy about today; they're going to be fired up about tomorrow.”

Up next for UNM is its second game against Fresno State on Saturday at 2 p.m. as part of the three-game series at Santa Ana Star Field. Johnathon Tripp (2-0, 5.18 ERA) is expected to make the start for the Lobos, while Fresno State will counter with Rickey Ramirez (2-3, 6.21 ERA).

The game will be broadcasted live on ESPN Radio 101.7 The TEAM.

Matthew Narvaiz is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women's basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz