News in Brief: 2017 International Festival set for Thursday

The Global Education Office is sponsoring the 2017 International Festival, set for Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Cornell Mall. 

According to a University release, there will be around 40 booths with food, crafts and information. The event is free and open to the public.

"The Global Education Office’s annual International Festival is a special opportunity for everyone in the UNM and Albuquerque community to come together to experience a taste of the world in one place on one day,” Pablo Torres, director of International Recruitment and Admissions, is quoted as saying in the release. “We are proud of our students from every corner of the world — near and far, who contribute greatly to the community."

According to the release, participating student groups include the Bangladeshi Student Association, Japanese Language and Culture Club, Pakistani Student Association, Black Student Union and Iranian Student Association, who will be preparing plates of food to sample for a small fee.

A musical performance by “Calle 66” will headline the festival with its Latin salsa flavor, according to the release. The festival will also feature Chinese lion dance, flamenco, African dance and other performances.

“I am very excited about the upcoming International Festival because a lot of international students are concerned about the situation around the United States right now,” Keegan Sutanto, a UNM student from Indonesia, is quoted as saying in the release. “This event makes me feel that we are welcome here, that we can contribute to this country by sharing our cultures.”

According to the release, the International Festival is a celebration of culture and diversity, occurring annually during the spring semester.

Represented countries for this year’s festival include: Bangladesh, Cuba, Ecuador, Germany, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Japan, Madagascar, Mexico, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sierra Leone, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey, United Kingdom, U.S., Venezuela and more.

Matthew Reisen is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @MReisen88.