SWFC Preview: 'Manchester by the Sea' delivers Oscar-winning performances

The Southwest Film Center is once again bringing a critically acclaimed film to its theaters from April 7 to 10 in the UNM SUB. Following their presentation of “Moonlight” earlier this semester, SWFC is screening the award-winning film “Manchester by the Sea,” directed by Kenneth Lonergan, famous for his legendary film “Gangs of New York.”

The film tells the story of Lee Chandler (Casey Affleck), a timid handyman living in Quincy, Massachusetts, who lives humbly and mostly keeps to himself. One day he learns that his brother, Joe (Kyle Chandler), has suffered cardiac arrest and is hospitalized, but Joe dies before he can reach him, and is then tasked with breaking the news of Joe’s death to his nephew, Patrick (Lucas Hedges).

Lee then returns to his hometown of Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts, to break the news to Patrick. Lee then finds out that he has been named Patrick’s legal guardian and must adapt to his new life as a father figure.

“Manchester” was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture, Best Director (Lonergan), both Best Supporting Actor and Actress, and won the Oscars for Best Actor (Affleck) and Best Screenplay (Lonergan).

“Manchester by the Sea” is a film for people who loved “Gangs of New York”, those who are fiends for Oscar-winning films, cinephiles, fans of the Affleck brothers, or those who are fans of emotion-provoking dramas.

This is not a film to miss for such a deal of a price. “Manchester by the Sea” will be playing at the SUB from April 7 to 10. Don’t miss this chance to witness Lonergan’s second masterpiece.

Fin Martinez is the culture editor for the the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @FinMartinez.