Top 5 resources for LGBTQ students

The Daily Lobo has compiled a list of the top five resources for LGBTQ students and community members:

Common Bond

For over 20 years, this support group has brought together LGBTQ youth under age 21 to talk about issues and join in activities in a judgment-free environment. Common Bond creates a safe environment every Friday night for those in the Albuquerque LGBTQ community to express themselves and learn while having fun.

For more information visit commonbondnm.org and join their Facebook group.

Equality New Mexico

EQNM has created an advocacy group for developing and implementing educational programs, campaigns and outreach for systemic change. This group fights for equality through lobbying officials at both state and local levels for policy changes to improve the lives of LGBTQ New Mexicans. EQNM pushed officials to create the Public Schools Trans Safe Zones in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Las Cruces and other New Mexico cities. This group also works to make sure the New Mexico LGBTQ community is fully aware of their rights and how to defend them.

For more information visit eqnm.org.

The UNM LGBTQ Resource Center

The University’s resource center serves as a physical support environment where the students of UNM and members of the surrounding community are welcome and provided service to support advocacy, education and safety. Through the center’s education, a more civically engaged campus committed to equality is promoted as well as equal opportunity for all people.

For more information visit lgbtqrc.unm.edu.

N’M Power

N’M Power is a community-level group for young gay/bisexual/questioning men and transgender individuals of different backgrounds between the ages of 18 to 29, to build positive social connections and to support peers to have safer sex. This program encourages regular HIV testing and is known as a non-traditional HIV education and prevention program.

For more information visit N’M Power’s Facebook page.

PFLAG Albuquerque

PFLAG “provides the opportunity for dialogue about sexual orientation and gender identity and acts to create a society that is healthy and respectful of human diversity,” according to their mission statement. PFLAG hosts a support group that meets on the third Wednesday of each month, providing a safe environment for those of the LGBTQ community as well as their families and friends to promote health and wellbeing throughout the LGBTQ community.

For more information visit pflagabq.org

-Compiled by Denicia Aragon