Football: Lobos looking forward to upcoming annual women's clinic

The 24th Annual Lobo Football Women’s Clinic is scheduled to begin on July 20 at Dreamstyle Stadium, giving women a firsthand look at the program.

Head Coach Bob Davie seemed to be looking forward to hosting the upcoming clinic and generating some excitement, while also potentially picking up some new fans.

“The Lobo Football Women’s Clinic has become a great tradition here at UNM,” he said in a release. "Every year we look forward to the opportunity to give the women of New Mexico an inside look of what Lobo football is all about."

Jamie Mondragon, who works in the Athletics Business Office, said the program is mainly targeted toward people that are looking to get season tickets. Often times, some individuals don't have a clear understanding of the game, and the clinic can help clear things up.

“This is kind of a way to bridge that gap and get more women into understanding the game,” she said.

Pricing for season tickets were recently released, with individual season tickets starting at $86 and family four-packs for as low as $120.

The cost to attend the clinic is $30, and participants must be 21 or older, a release said.

But that dollar amount doesn’t just provide those in attendance with a commemorative T-shirt, food and some interaction with the football team — it also helps fund another important program.

Mondragon said the proceeds from the clinic help fund the Send-a-Kid Program, which provides tickets for underprivileged New Mexicans to attend games. She said those games aren’t limited to just football, but all sports across the board.

“It’s just a great way to get the community involved and give back,” Mondragon said.

Some of the items on the agenda for the women’s clinic include completing drills with some of the Lobo football players and a chance to meet and speak with the coaching staff and tour the facilities.

Mondragon said the clinic's success will not be based on ticket sales — instead, it will depend on whether the women come out and have a fun experience.

Those interested in attending can visit unmtickets.entaus.com or call 505-925-LOBO. The event kicks off at 5:30 p.m. and Buffalo Wild Wings is scheduled to provide food and drink at 6 p.m.

Robert Maler is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers football and men’s and women’s tennis. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @robert_maler.