Crime briefs for Aug. 31

Battery at Casas Del Rio

On Aug. 17, an officer spoke with a male student at the UNMPD station, because the student said another student was harassing him, according to a report.

The male said he was attending an event at Casas Del Rio with his girlfriend when he saw another male student staring at him — the two males previously attended high school together in Gallup, New Mexico.

The staring continued, even after the couple moved to different locations at the event, the reporting male said. The couple decided to leave, but the other male followed them when they walked outside. The reporting male said the other male approached them, kicked the reporting male in the leg and said, “You’re lucky I’m on probation.”

The reporting male said the comment concerned him. The couple avoided the situation by walking away. The reporting male said the other male has had a history of this sort of behavior with him.

The officer attempted to contact the other male at his room but was unable to locate him. A copy of the report was sent to the Dean of Students. Medical treatment was not required.

Emergency Mental Health Evaluation

On the afternoon of Aug. 19, an officer was sent to the UNMPD station in reference to a fire alarm, according to a report.

When the officer arrived, it was made known that a female subject walked into the police department lobby and pulled the fire alarm. When the officer spoke with the female, she was holding an injured bird, speaking incoherently — she appeared to have severe mental health problems, the report said.

The officer took the female into custody and transported her to the UNM Mental Health Center for a mental health evaluation. No further action was taken, and no further information was given at the time of the report.

Burglary at Coronado Hall

On Aug. 20, a female student entered the UNMPD station to report a theft, according to a police report. She said her Lobo ID card, state ID card and debit card were stolen from her dorm room at Coronado Hall. She reported the incident within minutes after it occurred.

She told the reporting officer that at the time of the incident, she left her room to take out the trash and must have left the door open, letting the offender into the room. When she returned a few minutes later, she saw the door was still open and noticed her wallet was missing.

She deactivated her debit card immediately and did not notice any transactions after the theft.

There are no cameras in the hall, and there is no information on an offender at this time. She did not notice anything else missing from her room.

Burglary at Anthropology Building

On Aug.18, an officer was dispatched to the Anthropology Building in reference to a burglary.

When the officer arrived, a female said she left her office at around 4:30 p.m. to run a few errands. When she returned at about 6 p.m., items in her office were thrown around the room. She noticed her Adidas backpack and a cash box with $30 to $45 were missing.

She said she left the door locked while she ran errands, and she was not sure who could have entered the office to take the items.

The officer noticed some slight damage to the door where the subject entered. The damage was not significant enough to prevent the door from functioning.

The officer spoke with other individuals in the same office area. They said the did not see or hear anything suspicious, because they were out of the office during the day. There are no suspects at this time.

Compiled by Elizabeth Sanchez