Letter: Well-deserved recognition — Retirement of a selfless woman

The University of New Mexico student population will miss the contributions of Mrs. Debbie Morris.

Mrs. Morris retired this summer as the director of the Student Activities Center. According to the UNM news website, she moved from the small town of Tucumcari to Albuquerque to attend UNM in the footsteps of her father and brother. She received her B.A. and M.P.A at UNM and started out as an accountant in Student Activities in 1983.

Over the span of 37.5 years, she has been a role model, mentor, advisor, faithful employee and so much more directly and indirectly to the student population. Many students enjoy events such as: Class Crawl, Friday Night Live, Welcome Back Days, Fiestas and Greek Week to name few. Mrs. Morris either advised, directed or some how was involved in making these and many more events possible for students to enjoy.

Personally, she served as my mentor and advisor while I was involved in ASUNM. She helped guide me to become a better student and leader. Behind the scenes, Mrs. Morris is a humble, thoughtful and caring woman. She always diverts the credit and accolades to her students and staff while selflessly standing in the background looking on with a smile of admiration on her face.

People come and go, time moves on and people eventually do the same; however, there are those few people who come and go who should be recognized for their accomplishments.

Mrs. Morris, your service has not gone unnoticed, thank you for all of your contributions, job well done and congratulations on a successful and memorable career serving the students at UNM.

Lt. Lazaro A. Cardenas Jr., USNRUNM Alumni ‘11