WisePies Arena and University Stadium get new signs

For Larry Chavez, CEO of Dreamstyle Remodeling, last week was a dream come true, as the signs bearing the name of his company went up at The Pit and the arena formerly known as University Stadium.

“It’s pretty incredible; when I saw the sign up at the stadium, I got goosebumps,” Chavez said. “I think it’s been told that my first job was selling sodas when I was 14-years-old at the stadium, so it’s been phenomenal. To see it on TV and read it in print, and one thing or another, it’s kind of surreal. It’s like a dream come true.”

Last May, the University announced that Dreamstyle had pledged a $10 million gift as part of an agreement that both WisePies Arena (aka The Pit) and University Stadium would be renamed after the company. There will be an initial payment of $1 million with annual payments of $900,000 through 2027.

Lobo Athletics won’t be the only beneficiaries of the deal — $1 million of the money will go to University entities such as Popejoy Hall, the UNM Children’s Hospital and Anderson School of Management, something that was important for Chavez.

“I know that it’s been a nice boost for the University, and that was, of course, the main objective,” he said. “We spread it around to the children’s hospital, and to Popejoy Hall, and the Anderson School of Management. So it’s been great.”

Chavez, who was born in Springer, N.M., is a UNM alumni and member of the Anderson School of Management Hall of Fame. He started Dreamstyle Remodeling in 1989, alongside Joyce Hitchner, and in addition to New Mexico, the company has expanded its operations into California, Arizona and Idaho.

The company also helped redesign Bob King Court within Dreamstyle Arena. Head coach Paul Weir appeared to be so pleased with the new design, he took to Twitter on Sept. 4 to thank Chavez for his input in the process, saying, “LOVE our new court by Larry Chavez & @DreamRemodeling. Don’t know how/when it’s released but super thankful he got involved in the process.”

“We collaborated with the Athletics Department, and I think it turned out great,” Chavez said. “There were some things we thought were important, like painting the lanes red. I think that adds a lot to it. They did and we did a wonderful job, and it looks great.”

The court is expected to be officially unveiled soon. The final piece of the agreement will see the construction of the “Larry Chavez and Joyce Hitchner Sports Bar Area” inside the suite level at Dreamstyle Arena.

Cameron Goeldner is a freelance sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer but also contributes content for baseball, basketball, football and track and field. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @goeldfinger.