David Gonzales counts his tickets before the UNM football game against Abilene Christian University on Sept. 2, 2017. For this upcoming season UNM sports tickets will be sold at a lower price.

Fall Sports Issue: Football ticket price drops for upcoming season

The UNM Football program announced during the offseason that it is lowering season ticket prices by 10 percent across the board in an effort to bring more fans into Dreamstyle Stadium.

In addition, the program has announced single-game promotions for the year — this started with last Saturday’s game against Abilene Christian.

“We are constantly evaluating ways to get more fans to come enjoy Lobo football, and we have a product that we are very proud of,” former Athletic Director Paul Krebs said in a release at the time of the announcement. “We want to give our fans every reason to buy season tickets and come support their Lobos. We feel that the reduction of season ticket prices does that.”

The Lobos are 11-3 in their last 14 home games, a streak that would normally lead to an increase in attendance, but that has not been the case so far for the Lobos.

Last season, the team finished last in the Mountain West in attendance, according to NCAA.org statistics, despite winning a division title.

During a regular season home slate, when the team won six of its seven home games, the attendance only exceeded the 20,000 mark twice.

“I know all of us recognize the benefits of having a large crowd when we play at home here, in Albuquerque,” head coach Bob Davie said. “We appreciate the support our season ticket holders have given us over the past several seasons. (Lower ticket prices) is our way of giving something back to them as we continue to build this program into something we can all be proud of.”

In addition to the lower ticket prices, the University also announced that it will have first-come, first-serve free parking in the STP lot, just north of Dreamstyle Arena.

In the past, lots either required a permit or a parking fee, something that fans expressed dissatisfaction with when trying to attend football and basketball games.

As far as single-game promotions, the team has a giveaway lined up for all six home games.

The highlights of the slate include the New Mexico State game on Sept. 9, when the program will be giving away rollabanas and Lobo koozies, as well providing a post-game firework display.

On Oct. 20 against Colorado State, the Lobos will give away either pennants or headbands on their annual “Lobos Love Pink” night, an event intended to raise awareness and honor the survivors of breast cancer.

Another game day change will include the first 30 minutes of every home game constituting happy hour, with $2 hot dogs and $5 Coors Light beer. The happy hour hot dog will be the cheapest concession available at the games this season.

As has been the case in seasons past, students enrolled in six or more credit hours can secure a ticket free of charge.

Prior to game day, students can pick up their tickets at the Lobo Ticket Office in the northeast corner of Dreamstyle Arena, aka the Pit, or from the ticket office outside the UNM Main Campus Bookstore.

Tickets are still offered on game day if students show their Lobo ID card at the southeast entrance of Dreamstyle Stadium.

Cameron Goeldner is a freelance sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer but also contributes content for baseball, basketball, football and track and field. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@goeldfinger.