Review: Five flicks and clicks help keep Halloween spirit alive

It’s been a dry month for movies this October, with no really great additions coming into the horror catalogue. So, what will you watch as the spookiest month of the year wraps up?

Personally, I’m a bit tired of cycling through the horror classics, so here's a few unique suggestions to keep the Halloween spirit fresh:

“Fright Night” (2011, on Amazon Prime)

When a shady new neighbor moves next door, Charlie Brewster suspects him of being a vampire. The 2011 remake of “Fright Night” is one of my favorite underrated horror films.

Though it’s set in Las Vegas, Nevada, the movie was actually filmed here, in Albuquerque and Rio Rancho. There’s also something about a vampire named Jerry that cracks me up every time. There’s action, comedy and some pretty nice gore throughout. The film doesn’t take itself too seriously, and it’s a blast to watch.

If you like vampires and comedy, I also suggest checking out “What We Do in the Shadows.” It’s a mockumentary about a vampire household by “Thor: Ragnarok” Director Taika Waititi. You can also find this film on Amazon Prime.

“Twin Peaks: The Return,” Episode 8 (on Showtime)

Thanks to its weirdness, this episode works perfectly as a standalone watch. The television series, “Twin Peaks,” picks up 25 years after the events of the second season cliffhanger. The cult show came back with a fierce, more-Lynchian vibe than the campy soapiness of the original, and this episode is probably the best demonstration of just how crazy it got.

The episode begins with a brief recap of the previous one’s events. Soon after, it cuts back to White Sands in 1945, the recipient of massively destructive experimental weapons testing. What follows is an insane fever dream, the likes of which you’ve probably never seen. This episode is some of the best television I’ve ever seen, period.

“Doctor Who,” Season 4, Episode 10 — “Midnight” (on Amazon Prime)

I was a “Doctor Who” fan for the longest time, until recently. Whether you are or not, this is another great standalone episode that requires little context to enjoy.

Set on the mysterious tourist planet, Midnight, the episode kicks off with the Doctor leaving his companion, Donna, for a visitor’s tour of a local sapphire waterfall. When the tour shuttle suddenly stops, an invisible force begins terrorizing the passengers, including the Doctor.

Most Whovians would point towards the Season 3 classic, “Blink,” as the epitome of not just the series, but TV horror as well. However, I find “Midnight” a touch above on the horror aspect. “Midnight” is particularly unnerving, as the creature haunting the tour shuttle is never revealed, explained or truly defeated. Just the same, I’d recommend watching both, as “Blink” is another phenomenal standalone episode.

“Bloodborne” (on PlayStation 4)

If you’re a lucky owner of a PS4, this is a must-have game in your library. A beautiful blend of Victorian and Lovecraftian horror, “Bloodborne” puts you in the shoes of an ambiguous recipient of a blood transfusion in the mysterious city of Yharnam. Though the game starts off with a fairly straight horror vibe, an interesting cosmic element is gradually introduced as you progress.

One of my favorite things about “Bloodborne” is that it completely lives up to its name. Blood can be found everywhere, from the enemy blood piñatas, item descriptions, story and beyond.
If you don’t own a PS4, check out “Bloodborne: The Card Game.” This board game is easy to learn and offers great pick-up fun for up to five players.

2spooky4me (on YouTube)

The title says it all.

Hector Valverede is a culture reporter with the Daily Lobo. He primarily writes movie reviews. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @hpvalverde.