Brief: Local org encourages anti-militarism action

Anti-militarism activist groups across the world are acknowledging the first annual Global Action Against Military Bases week beginning Saturday, Oct. 7.

The week is meant to show solidarity with activists around the globe who have been resisting occupation, militarism and foreign bases for years, according to a press release by the Albuquerque anti-war group Stop the War Machine.

SWM organizes events to protest and educate the community about the harm of militarism.

“Uniting our resistance into a global action for peace and justice will make our voices louder, our power stronger and more radiant,” the release said.

Organizations were invited to plan anti-militarism action in their respective local communities to show resistance to war and stopping “the desecration of Mother Earth.”

“This is the beginning of an annual effort that will better unite our work and strengthen our connections with each other,” the release said.

The release said the solidarity efforts will begin on Saturday, Oct. 7, because the U.S. and Great Britain launched the “Enduring Freedom” mission against Afghanistan on Oct. 7, 2001 as a response to the events on Sept. 11, 2001.

“In the Trump era, global warfare is intensifying rapidly,” the release said. “It is time to unify all of those around the world who oppose war.”

To show solidarity with activists in Okinawa, South Korea, Italy, the Philippines, Guam, Germany, England and elsewhere who have been protesting for many years, the release called to build a “network of resistance to U.S. bases.”

However, some students do not agree that protesting all military action is warranted.

“It’s hard to understand how someone could be 100 percent against the military, because they seem so necessary to maintain peace globally and here at home locally,” said Haedi DeAngelis, a current graduate student at the University of New Mexico.

Activist groups are encouraged to organize meetings, debates, public speaking events, vigils or signature gatherings to show solidarity. It is unclear if SWM has anything planned for this week.

“We need to work together as a united front, giving strength and visibility to every initiative,” the release said. “Together we ARE more powerful.”

Madison Spratto is a news reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Madi_Spratto.