Crime briefs for Nov. 16

Editor's Note: The original version of the brief on criminal damage said, "When the Lobo Rainforest office talked with security, he was told to contact UNMPD and file a police report." That is inaccurate and has since been corrected to read, "When the officer talked with security, he was told to contact UNMPD and file a police report." The Daily Lobo apologizes for any confusion.

Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon

On the morning of Nov. 8, officers were sent to a parking lot near UNMH in reference to a man who pulled a knife on a groundskeeper, according to a UNMPD report. The officer observed a male subject in a white UNMH van that security pointed out. The officer called the subject out of the van with a microphone.

The male complied, telling the officer that the knife was in the van. He also gave the officer permission to search the van. Upon searching the vehicle, the officer located a silver folding knife. The man said he pulled the knife, because he was annoyed that the groundskeepers were blowing dirt around his vehicle, and he was trying to rest.

A groundskeeper stated he was blowing leaves when the male approached him, yelling that he could not be working in that area. The man then pulled the knife, still yelling, now walking toward the groundskeeper. The groundskeeper ran toward his work truck and called his manager, who then called UNMH security.

The man was arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Battery

On Nov. 7, officers were dispatched in reference to a call that an unknown male hit a male student, according to a report.

The student was standing with four of his friends when an unknown tall heavy man wearing all black yelled at one of his friends and said, “What are you looking at?”

The second student assured the man that he was not looking at him. The unknown male approached the second student and pushed his chest with his hands. A third student from the group of friends stepped between the male and the second student.

The unknown male swung at the third student, hitting him with a closed hand on the student’s left eye, which caused his eye to swell. The male walked away and was not located by officers.

Criminal damage

On Nov. 3, a resident of Lobo Rainforest left to Taos, New Mexico for the weekend, according to a police report. The male left his motorcycle parked in the Lobo Rainforest parking lot, near the road. He returned Sunday evening and tried to use his motorcycle Monday morning.

He noticed there was damage to the ignition of his vehicle. The damage is suspected to have been caused during an attempt to steal the motorcycle. No other damage was found.

When the officer talked with security, he was told to contact UNMPD and file a police report.

Compiled by Kelly Urvanejo