Collage includes album covers from Troye Sivan, Drake, Migos and SiR.  

Music Review — Top songs of the month: January

2018 is here, and musically it is starting off on a good foot. This is a list of the top tracks, whether they’re singles or tracks off albums released in the month of January.

Migos — “BBO,” feat. 21 Savage

“Culture II” is here, and it was not well received. It was just shy of two hours long with a surprisingly weak tracklist. But within the slew of messy songs, tracks such as “Stir Fry,” “Motor Sport” and “BBO” shine bright. BBO featuring 21 Savage is one of the best Migos songs to be released in January, its fresh beat lightly sprinkled with trumpets, courtesy of Buddah Bless and Kanye West, make this song an instant classic.

Lady Gaga — “Joanne (Where Do You Think You’re Going?’)” (Piano Version)

Although “Joanne” came packaged with Lady Gaga’s latest album back in 2017, her updated piano version takes the already heart-wrenching song to new levels. With more of an emphasis on Gaga’s voice, the song finds new meaning once it is moved away from the original country vibe and distracting guitar strumming heard on the original mix.

Drake — “God’s Plan”

The not-soon-to-be-dethroned king of pop-rap has struck again with “Scary Hours,” a release of two new songs, “God’s Plan” and “Diplomatic Immunity,” the former being the selling point of the release. “God’s Plan” officially beat Taylor Swift’s record of having the most Spotify streams in a single day. Within days of its release, gyms full of teenagers were already rapping along to every word, proving that Drake is still relevant and not a force to be taken lightly.

SiR — “Something New”

SiR’s first TDE album is here, and it has already made waves with songs, such as “Something Foreign” and “Summer in November,” with the real gems of this album being the more overlooked songs such as “Something New.” “Something New” is a velvet smooth R&B classic with everything you could want and the added feature of Etta Bond will make you feel like crafting a playlist containing this song only.

Troye Sivan — “The Good Side”

Troye Sivan is back and truly better than ever. Although Troye also released the upbeat “My My My!” the overall track seemed a bit lackluster. With the release of his second single, “The Good Side,” it is clear that Troye has expanded his sound to a new level of maturity. In some aspects, it feels very much like a song that could have been on Lorde’s 2017 record, “Melodrama.” It is worth a listen or two — maybe even a tear or two as well.

Jay Rock — “Kings Dead” feat. Kendrick Lamar, Future and James Blake

The bombastic, flaunty single from the “Black Panther” soundtrack burns bright with all four artists pulling their own weight. Jay Rock gets grimy, Future adds a bit of humor and Kendrick leads that way and closes off with a jaw-dropping flow similar to his work on “DNA.” A surprising move for a Disney soundtrack, it is worth every repeat.

Kali Uchis — “After The Storm” feat. Tyler, the Creator & Bootsy Collins

Although promoted as a single for Kali, “After The Storm” feels like an outtake from Tyler, the Creator’s most recent album “Flower Boy.” This is not saying that it is a bad song — in fact it was probably one of the first tracks in 2018 to catch critics’ attention. With a summer vibe and an uplifting message, “After The Storm” might be headed to a radio station near you.

Borns — “Sweet Dreams”

Borns latest album, “Blue Madonna,” is full of catchy hooks and danceable instrumentals. One of the album’s strongest moments comes in track three titled, “Sweet Dreams.” The name of the song says all you need to know about it — it is a sweet lullaby that can put even the most caffeinated listener into a laidback daydream.

Colton Newman is the photo editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at photoeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Coltonperson.