Baseball: Lobos drop 3, win 1 over the weekend

The University of New Mexico baseball team was not able to close out its final game on Monday afternoon in Surprise, Arizona. Instead, No. 2 Oregon State walked away with a dominating 15-2 defeat in the two teams’ second matchup over the weekend.

The Lobos dropped their season opener to the Beavers, 5-2, Friday while also dropping their game to Gonzaga on Sunday. They did, however, pick up a win on Saturday against Cal Poly.

But on Monday, things weren’t always so grim for the Lobos. In fact, freshman Daniel Zakosek put the first run on the scoreboard in the second inning on an RBI single.

However, Oregon State, in the bottom of the fifth, scored five runs — and scored another 10 runs through the seventh inning. In that time, UNM was allowed just one run, before they scored another run in the top of the eighth.

Sophomore Cody Dye got the start on the mound for the Lobos, pitching a total of 3.2 innings. He gave up seven runs on eight hits, while also walking four batters. He did, however, have three strikeouts. Dye also picked up the loss, putting him at 0-1 on the mound so far this season.

Junior Jordan Britton picked up the win for Oregon State. He came in as a relief pitcher and held the Lobos scoreless in four innings on the mound.

The Lobos head back to action on Thursday, when they host Central Michigan in a four-game series that will run through Sunday.

Matthew Narvaiz is a senior sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s and women’s basketball and baseball. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.