Softball: Rocky start too much to overcome, Lobos lose 12-4 to Rams

In the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader, the Lobos were able to get the best of Colorado State ace Bridgette Hutton. In Sunday’s series finale, Hutton returned the favor in a 12-4, five inning run rule win.

The Rams wasted no time getting scoring started, recording a four run, four hit first inning that was highlighted by a 2 run Haley Donaldson home run that opened the scoring.

In the second, the Rams were able to add five more runs to their tally, driving in their fifth run after Jensen Main issued a bases loaded walk to Amber Nelson. The sixth run came across on a fielder's choice hit to shortstop Cameron O'Grady that she was unable to handle while attempting to get the lead runner, resulting in an error and a run scoring. A ground out from Danni Klein brought another run in before Hannah McCorkhill hit a single to center field that brought the other two runs in the inning across, giving Colorado State a 9-0 lead heading into the third inning.

In the third the Lobos were finally able to get on the board thanks to a Chelsea Johnson solo shot home run. With the bases loaded, Kasey Halleen grounded into a fielder's choice that brought D'Andra DeFlora home for the Lobos second run.

After Main held the Rams scoreless in the bottom half of the inning, the Lobos were able to chip away at the deficit some more, thanks to a single from the DeFlora that brought O’Grady in for the Lobos third fun of the game. Then, Andrea Howard hit a sacrifice fly to right field that brought Sydney Townes in to score from third and move Chelsea Johnson from second to third, but the Lobos stranded Johnson.

The CSU bats were once again able to get to Main in the bottom half of the fourth. The Rams added three more runs in the inning to take an eight run lead over the Lobos and bring the eight run mercy rule into effect, ending the game after just four innings.

Main pitched all four innings for the Lobos giving up 10 hits and and 12 runs, six of which were earned,while walking six. Hutton, went 3 and 1/3 innings for the Rams, allowing eight hits and four runs, all of them earned, striking out six and walking two. Kaylynn Pierce pitched the final inning and two thirds for the Rams and only allowed two hits and struck out one. Hutton recorded the win while Main takes the loss for New Mexico.

The Lobos will return to action when they face the UTEP Miners in a single game matchup on Monday, April 16 at 3 p.m. and will return home after a bye week to take on conference rival Utah State in Albuquerque beginning Friday, April 20.

Cameron Goeldner is a sports beat reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer and softball but also contributes content for baseball, basketball, football and track and field. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter@goeldfinger.