G-Eazy and co. own the night at Isleta Amphitheater

One of Albuquerque’s most loyal recording artists, G-Eazy, blew through the 505 for a show full of bangers on his “Endless Summer Tour,” with help from Lil Uzi Vert, Ty Dolla $ign, P-Lo, Murda Beatz and more.

Opener Ty Dolla $ign brought his much welcomed lush vocals to a trap filled concert with selections from his albums, “Free TC” and “Beach House 3.” Ty entered his performance with dreads tied back, fully clothed and filling the air with lavish radio hits and soulful vocals. Ty ended his set with dreads lashing in every direction, his tattooed chest on full display and playing a cover of Post Malone’s “Psycho” which he is heavily featured on.

Co-headliner Lil Uzi Vert, mostly known for his assisted entrance into the mainstream with his feature on the Migos massive hit, “Bad and Boujee,” has since found his own fame through his hit “XO TOUR Llif3.” Uzi’s set was littered with an abundance of satanic references which brought an interesting aspect of darkness and grime to a fairly commercial tour. In the end Uzi was one of the highlights of the evening, as his setlist was well constructed with songs flowing effortlessly from one to another.

From slicked back black hair and black leather jackets to short blonde hair and a more European vibe, Gerald Earl Gillum, also known as G-Eazy, has always had a flair for dramatics and his latest performance was no different. A slow build up, featuring moody backup vocals from his song “Pray For Me” and a classic silhouette entrance was all it took to excite the antsy crowd of around 13,000 fans.

With a discography large enough to fill four unique setlists, Gerald took his hardest hitting songs and fan favorites from his latest album, “The Beautiful and Damned.” G-Eazy took his radio hits to design an album-esque concert full of his best work. The opening three songs consisted of “Pray For Me,” “Legend” and “The Plan,” all bombastic hip-hop songs with heavy trap overtones.

During G-Eazy’s opening songs, images of violent lighting and majestic northern lights switched back and forth, building off his concept of dual personalities that he explored on “The Beautiful and Damned.”

G-Eazy followed “The Plan” with hits “I Mean It,” “1942,” “Random,” “You Got Me” and after 9 songs Gerald finally gave his fans some time to breath with the pop infused song “Sober.” “Sober” transitioned his performance into the second part of his massive show which featured a slower group of tracks such as “No Less,” “Some Kind of Drug” and “The Beautiful and Damned.”

For the third act of the evening G-Eazy exited the stage only to return standing on the hood of a vintage Ford Mustang for another set of kickers that brought back the roars of thousands. A personal favorite of mine was the fusion of Gerald’s songs “That’s A Lot,” “Lotta That” and “Forbes.” These songs are played in order and they serve as build up for the next song until you reach the masterfully designed track by producer Borgore, “Forbes.”

To close the night off Gerald performed his top hits “Him & I,” “Me Myself and I” and “No Limit” which filled the desire of every fan in attendance, sending everyone home pleased.

This was around Gerald’s ninth time to the Land of Enchantment, not counting his listening parties and his short film premier that both happened in the 505. From playing at the tiny Launchpad to selling out the Isleta Amphitheater, Gerald has always made effort to keep coming back to New Mexico to put on fun shows in a city where you are the odd man out if you haven’t seen G-Eazy in concert.

Although rumors are floating around that Gerald will be taking a break from rapping to work in film and producing, chances are he will inevitably go on tour again — and if trends stay the same he’ll find himself back in Albuquerque. If his show is anything like the “Endless Summer Tour,” it’s not to be missed.

Colton Newman is the photo editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted by email at photoeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Coltonperson.