Photo courtesy of Universal Pictures

Photo courtesy of Universal Pictures

Movie Review: "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom" cements legacy of beloved film series

The first and original film, “Jurassic Park” (1993) has lead us five movies later to the latest in the series of American classics, “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.”

Soon after “Jurassic Park” was released it was followed by two more movies, “The Lost World: Jurassic Park” (1997) and “Jurassic Park III” (2001), completing the trilogy.

In 2015, the beloved series was brought back to life with the extremely popular continuation “Jurassic World,” and on June 22, the fifth movie of the series was released: “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.”

Similar to the plot of the original films, Jurassic World is a high-tech island theme park which houses man-made dinosaurs recovered and created from ancient DNA.

The theme park, Jurassic World, is destroyed when a specific dinosaur escapes and the whole park spirals into chaos, with all the dinosaurs now running loose with the potential to harm park guests.

In “Jurassic World” (2015), it is up to Chris Pratt’s character, Owen, to save the park-goers from the loose dinosaurs. In “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom,” Owen returns to the Jurassic World with his partner, Claire, to save the remaining dinosaurs in the abandoned park from a soon-to-erupt volcano.

In general, “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” is definitely not as spectacular as it’s predecessor, “Jurassic World”(2015), but it is still an extremely enjoyable and fun movie experience.

The movie is full of tension and jump-scares and includes just the right amount of comedy to keep it fun, but not too dramatic.

The film falls into the realm of science fiction and action films and includes an extreme amount of computer-generated dinosaurs.

These dinosaurs are so realistic and such a large part of the film that I cannot even imagine what it was like as an actor on set, with such key figures missing and having to be edited in.

Although its plot does not outshine the plot of its predecessor, each “Jurassic” film outshines its predecessors when it comes to the animation of the dinosaurs and editing of the film.

The film was directed by J.A. Bayona under studio Universal Pictures, and was written by Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly.

Along with Chris Pratt, the film includes other big name stars such as Bryce Dallas Howard, Justice Smith, Daniella Pineda and Jeff Goldblum.

For anyone looking for a light-hearted thriller, “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” is definitely worth the price of a theater ticket.

Although it is not likely to be an Academy Award-winning film, it is a great family movie and would also be a great choice for a 3D, IMAX, and MX4D experience.

Timber Mabes is a culture reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @timbermabes.