Photo courtesy of GoLobos.com

Photo courtesy of GoLobos.com

Women's Soccer: Early chances prove big for Lobos in another home win

The UNM Soccer Complex continued to be a safe haven for the Lobos, as the University of New Mexico women's soccer team remained perfect there with a win on Friday night over the UTEP Miners.

New Mexico (3-3) took control of the match early on, getting scoring chance after scoring chance. And it didn't take long for the Lobos to cash in as sophomore midfielder Cami Floth found the ball off a corner kick and drove home her first career goal at the 8:38 mark to give UNM a 1-0 lead.

Just minutes later, Floth played a hand in setting up New Mexico's second goal. The sophomore sent another corner kick into the box and dropped an assist on fellow sophomore Alexa Kirton — who launched a header past UTEP goalkeeper Alyssa Palacios.

Palacios seemed to be under constant pressure, particularly in the first half. She recorded four first-half saves, but relented two goals as the Lobos fired off 10 shot attempts over the first 45 minutes.

UNM's goalie, freshman Malia Vanisi, wasn't under nearly as much duress, but saved both of the shots on goal UTEP was able to garner in the first half. She turned over the goalkeeping duties to teammate Emily Johnson for the second half.

New Mexico continued to attack in the second half, but only recorded one shot on goal in the second half. UTEP took the opportunity to close the gap, finally breaking through with a goal in the 72nd minute. Sophomore April Pate ricocheted home a goal that glanced off the post and got past Johnson to make it 2-1.

But Johnson protected the lead the rest of the way, making a key save about a minute later — of the three saves she tallied on the night.

The Lobos outshot the Miners 11-8 overall, though UNM record just one more shot on goal, 7-6, than its opponent. The corner kick was an important aspect of Friday's game, and the Lobos used a 10-3 edge in that category to their advantage — getting four shots on goal and scoring twice on those chances in the first half.

New Mexico midfielders Amelia Bierle and Jessie Hix both logged shots on goal off those corners, while several players recorded multiple shots in the match.

Hix and UNM senior Jennifer Muñoz both had three shot attempts, while Jaelyn Hendren, Alesia Garcia and Jadyn Edwards had two shots apiece.

New Mexico will have a chance to extend its home winning streak as the team's next three matches will be in Albuquerque. UNM is set to host New Mexico State on Friday, Sept. 14 at 7:30 p.m.

Robert Maler is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers basketball and baseball and contributes content for various other sports as well. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Robert_Maler.