A UNMPD officer stands behind a police cruiser on Sept. 23, 2015. UNMPD is currently under an assault allegation for an officer punching a women Aug. 25, 2017.

Crime Briefs for Oct. 15, 2018

Possession of Controlled Substance at Yale Parking Structure

On the morning of Oct. 1, three officers were sent to the Yale parking structure due to a disturbance, according to a report. Dispatch said a person with a baseball bat broke through the windows of a red Toyota parked on the top floor of the parking structure, and the person was inside.

When officers arrived, the windows were not broken, but at least two people were inside. One officer told the people to exit the vehicle one at a time. A male exited from the driver’s seat — he was handcuffed and patted down for weapons. When asked if he had weapons or needles, the male said he had a knife, but he did not know if he had needles.

The officer found two knives and a round tin can in his pants pocket. The male said the tin can held methamphetamine. The officer found two plastic bags — one contained what the officer believed to be methamphetamine, and the other contained what the officer thought was heroin. The can also held cotton soaked in a brown liquid. The male was escorted to the back of the police vehicle.

The officer read the male a Miranda Warning, and the male said he understood his rights and would like to speak to the officer. The male said he and his girlfriend were living in the red Toyota. He said he and his girlfriend did not have a fight between themselves or anyone else. He said he does not know who contacted UNMPD or why.

The male said earlier that morning someone tried to look into the vehicle, but he hit the window so the person would leave, which they did. He said he has a sharps card, and there were needles that did not contain narcotics inside the vehicle. He said there are no narcotics in the vehicle and admitted that the tin can found earlier contained both methamphetamine and heroin.

One officer told the man’s girlfriend to exit the vehicle. She was also handcuffed “for officer safety purposes,” the report states. She was patted down for weapons and did not have any.

She later admitted she originally lied about her name, because she was “‘afraid to be in trouble,’” the report states. She said she and her boyfriend did not have a verbal or physical altercation that day, and she did not know why officers were contacted. She said neither of them had a baseball bat, and there was not one in the vehicle.

Two officers saw several empty syringes, but no narcotics inside the vehicle in plain view. However, there was a silver and black BB gun that looked similar to a real gun. The female said the gun was used for “‘fun,’” the report states. An officer confiscated the gun, which was also tagged into evidence.

After completing a warrants check, officers found that neither the male nor female had outstanding warrants for their arrest. The female was a registered owner for the vehicle, and she had a valid driver’s license. “(She) was released and left the area with her vehicle without further incident,” the report states. An officer transported the male to the UNM police substation.

Using a field test kit, another officer found that one substance from the tin can tested presumptively positive for methamphetamine, and the other substance tested presumptively positive for heroin. Two officers transported the male to the Metropolitan Detention Center — he was booked for possession of a controlled substance. The case is closed. A copy of the report was sent to the Bernalillo County District Attorney's Officer for review and potentially prosecution. The officer who wrote the report will be a case agent.

Harassment

On Oct. 2, an officer was sent to the University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center due to harassment, according to a UNMPD report. When the officer arrived, a woman said ever since she spoke with her mother-in-law on New Year’s Eve, her mother-in-law has verbally harassed her through email, cell phone and social media with vulgar language and anger directed toward her. The woman blocked her mother-in-law on social media, email and cellular service. She also saved all harassing emails, voicemails and social media posts from her mother-in-law. She would like the incidents documented in case her mother-in-law’s behavior becomes both verbal and physical.

Disorderly Conduct, Emergency Medical Health Evaluation at UNMH

On Oct. 3, an officer was patrolling the campus and was dispatched to UNMH, because a patient was refusing to leave, according to a police report. When the officer arrived, security guards were standing around a female in handcuffs. She screamed that she only wanted to hurt herself, not others.

The UNMPD officer stood her up, escorted her outside, calmed her down and eventually removed her handcuffs. She said hospital security and personnel broke her right wrist, and her shoulder was dislocated. The officer asked her about her statement about harming herself. She said she was not considering self-harm. When the officer asked her if she made the statement to manipulate staff, “she denied it,” the report states.

The officer learned she initially went to Lovelace to treat her migraine headache, but the hospital “did not treat her to her satisfaction with prescription painkillers, and she ran out into traffic. APD officers responded, picked (her up) and transported her to UNMH where she was reportedly dropped off without staff being advised of her potential self-harm and without a law enforcement statement for an emergency medical health evaluation,” the report states.

She was evaluated, but she was not given the prescription medication she wanted — she was offered over-the-counter medication instead. Then she started punching walls, and UNMH security needed to wrestle her to the ground. “She was immediately cleared and discharged. Security said they believed her wrist injury was due to her punching walls and not due to the ‘combat cuffing’ she clearly received which resulted in her wrists turned and jammed into the cuffs,” the report states.

The officer believed she was in crisis and gave her the chance to go to Presbyterian Kaseman Hospital. She agreed to go, and the officer transported her there.

When she was at the hospital, she said she did not have a plan to hurt herself, but she did threaten to hurt herself in order to be given pain medication. The staff started to process her, and the officer briefed the team before going back in service.

— Briefs compiled by Elizabeth Sanchez