Football: Lobos host Cowboys in season finale

It’s no secret that the University of New Mexico football team has been on a downward spiral, having lost six consecutive games.

The disappointment has struck in a variety of ways — three loses at home, three on the road. New Mexico (3-8, 1-6 Mountain West) has been blown out on multiple occasions, but also squandered a comfortable lead against San Diego State and lost on a last-second field goal to Colorado State.

UNM's home record this season is also an abysmal 1-4, with the Lobos’ lone home win coming against Incarnate Word in their season opener. The only conference victory came against UNLV, which is also 1-6 in the Mountain West and 3-8 overall.

The turmoil has been due to a variety of factors including losing them-starting quarterback Tevaka Tuioti early in the season, as well as linebacker Alex Hart and a multitude of other injuries.

UNM has also been without Evah Tohi, who was suspended for an altercation with another teammate that left the victim hospitalized.

Tohi, head coach Bob Davie said, won’t play against Wyoming on Saturday afternoon.

Wyoming, meanwhile, has been on the upward climb. The Cowboys have won their last three games, but still need a win on Saturday to ensure bowl eligibility.

The Cowboy wins stem back to a 34-21 victory at Colorado State on Oct. 26, followed by wins against San Jose State and Air Force.

There has been a shakeup at QB for the Cowboys, too, heading into Saturday’s matchup with UNM.

Tyler Vander Waal, who was the starter earlier in the season before being replaced by Sean Chambers, will be back under center against the Lobos.

Chambers broke his leg last week and Vander Waal, a freshman, led Wyoming back from a 13-point deficit with just under nine minutes in the fourth quarter. The Cowboys went on to win 35-27.

Kickoff for the Lobos’ season finale is on Saturday, Nov. 24 at 12:30 p.m.

Matthew Narvaiz is a senior writer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers football, however, he also contributes content to other sports. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.