Coltin Gerhart (#11) prepares to pass the ball during the last football game of the year for UNM. UNM football took a crushing blow from Wyoming at Dreamstyle Stadium on Nov. 24, 2018.

Football: Lobos finish with worst offensive performance of season

The University of New Mexico Lobos finished its season on Saturday afternoon with a 31-3 loss, the team’s seventh straight of the season.

New Mexico finished the season 3-9 overall, 1-7 in conference and 1-5 at home. This season in many ways mirrored 2017 where the Lobos also went 3-9 and finished the season with seven straight losses.

“A disappointing loss, a disappointing season,” UNM head Coach Bob Davie said after the loss. “Everything looks negative right now because that’s the lens we’re looking through right now, and that’s why there’s no reason to say too much or talk too much.”

Wyoming got its running attack going early, with Nico Evans strutting through UNM’s defense for 37 yards. That was quickly followed by a 21-yard touchdown rush from Xazavian Valladay to give the Cowboys a lead just over two minutes into the game.

Meanwhile, the Lobos’ offense was stagnant. In its first two drives, UNM wasn’t able to move the ball forward nor could it get a first down. Both drives resulted in three-and-outs.

Going into the second quarter, Wyoming’s stout rushing attack continued to pound the Lobos. Valladay opened up the frame with a 16-yard rush and was later followed up by an even bigger run by Evans with a 30-yard touchdown.

Late in the second quarter, UNM was given an opportunity to get into scoring position after Wyoming’s punter muffed the snap and its defense was flagged for pass interference, which put the Lobos at the Cowboys’ 11-yard line. UNM, however, had to settle for a field goal from Andrew Shelley.

That field goal would be the Lobos’ only points of the game.

In the second half, Wyoming’s rushing attack — with Evans and Valladay — was still churning.

By the end, the Cowboys finished with 366 yards and four touchdowns on the ground.

Valladay finished with 192 yards and two touchdowns on the ground. Evans finished with 142 yards and a touchdown.

UNM finished with 83 total yards of offense, its lowest mark all season.

New Mexico cycled through three quarterbacks during the game in Sheriron Jones, Coltin Gerhart and Bryson Carroll. Gerhart and Jones, however, were the only two to throw passes. Both quarterbacks combined for three complete passes on 17 attempts for a total of 34 yards passing.

The Lobos, having now failed to qualify for a bowl game for the last two seasons, will inevitably face questions about the stability of the program. There will also likely be a great deal of pressure and uncertainty regarding Davie’s future, whose contract with UNM expires in 2021. If fired, the University will have to pay him around $1.3 million.

The attendance for the game was officially listed at 14,269.

Editor's Note: An original version of this article mistakenly referred to Bryson Carroll as Bryce Carroll.

Matthew Narvaiz is a senior sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers football, however, he also contributes content to other sports. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.