Steve Pearce addresses crowd following his loss to Rep. Michelle Lujan Girsham in the 2018 New Mexico Gubernatorial Election. 

Grisham wins governor's race to cap off New Mexico's blue wave

The New Mexico Governor’s seat became blue once more on Tuesday night when Democrat Michelle Lujan Grisham won decisively against Republican opponent Steve Pearce, thus ending eight years of Republican control over the Governor's seat.

According to the New Mexico Secretary of State website, Grisham was leading Pearce by over 13 percent with over 800 precincts reporting at the time this article was published.

“You’ve sent a very clear message that this is the state that is ready to lead,” Grisham said to an energized room of supporters attending her watch party at Hotel Albuquerque.

Grisham’s speech was the last of many given by a wave of victorious Democrats from around the state. 

Democrats currently control both houses of the New Mexico State Legislature and now hold complete control with a member of their party in the Governor's office, allowing them greater ease in moving legislation through the government.

Grisham has represented New Mexico’s 1st Congressional District for three terms, and has run on a platform of progressive policies focused on public education, healthcare and the economy.

In her speech, she also promised to put New Mexico at the forefront of clean energy, raise minimum wage and institute universal Pre-K education.

On the campaign trail, Grisham also promised to make changes to the University of New Mexico Board of Regents, and she reaffirmed this intention on election night.

“The regents in too many of our colleges and universities, including (the University of New Mexico), have not really paid attention...to supporting the academic mission of those institutions and universities,” she said. “That’s their job. That means making or breaking that academic mission.”

The mood at Pearce’s watch party was one of cautious optimism throughout the night. As Republican wins in the Senate were announced over Fox News, chants of “USA” occasionally broke out, but never lasted long.

The night began at Pearce’s watch party with the room reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and a religious invocation.

Before the results were announced, Michael Morales, a student at UNM and a member of College Republicans, said he wasn’t concerned with Pearce’s ten percent gap in recent polls.

When the news came down that Pearce had lost, Morales said he was disappointed.

“I think he ran a great campaign, actually I think he ran a better campaign,” Morales said.

Pearce came on stage late after the announcement came out that he had lost.

Pearce said he called Grisham and offered his support. During his concession speech, Pearce said that he and Grisham shared a sense of hope for the future of New Mexico.

Both candidates forfeited seats in the U.S. House of Representatives to run for Governor.

Pearce said it had been a privilege to serve as a U.S. Congressman for as long as he did.

“I just went out and gave my vision to the people. She gave a different vision; they chose hers,” Pearce said after conceding.

Grisham and Lieutenant Governor-elect Howie Morales will take office on Jan. 1, replacing current Republican Gov. Susana Martinez and Lt. Gov. John Sanchez.

Justin Garcia is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers ASUNM. He can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter at @Just516garc.

Gabriella Rivera is a news reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter as @gabbychlamps.