Women's Basketball: Ahlise Hurst wins Mountain West Player of the Week

Ahlise Hurst was named the Mountain West Player of the Week on Monday for her performances against Oklahoma and New Mexico State last week, and became the third straight Lobo to win the award, following Aisia Robertson and Jaisa Nunn.

Hurst put up a record setting performance against the Sooners last Wednesday, setting the freshman scoring record with 39 points on 14-of-24 shooting in the Lobos 84-80 win. It was the third-highest scoring game in UNM history, regardless of class.

She followed it up with another solid performance against the Aggies on Saturday, tallying 11 points and three rebounds in a blowout 83-58 win. Hurst more than doubled her scoring average with her performance against the Sooners, going from 5.8 points per game to 12.4.

For the freshman, the Oklahoma game was the first game that the nerves of her freshman season had really dissipated at she was able to just play, she said following the game. Once she made her first shot she knew she would be able to settle into the game and play. It set up a week where she would shoot 53 percent from the field and 47 percent from deep.

The Lobos will play twice more this week, taking on UTEP on Wednesday at 7 p.m. at home and then hitting the road on Saturday to play Northern Arizona.

Cameron Goeldner is a senior reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer, women’s basketball, softball and the Albuquerque Isotopes, but also contributes content for all other sports. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@goeldfinger.