Shawn Berman

Photo courtesy of the University of New Mexico. 

Anderson School of Management names new interim-dean

Earlier this month, the University of New Mexico instated Shawn Berman, Ph.D, as interim-dean of the Anderson School of Management (ASM).

Berman is no stranger to ASM or its administration. He has been at UNM since 2007, holding many positions throughout his tenure. He is a professor of business and society, and said he enjoys teaching and connecting with students. He also conducts research in topics such as stakeholder theory, employee-employer relationships and issues of corporate governance.

Berman was ASM’s acting dean for the entire year of 2017, until Craig White, Ph.D, took over. He then served as the ASM associate dean for accreditation and research during 2018.

At the end of last year, White was appointed as the new interim-senior vice-president for finance and administration. This meant interim-Provost Richard Wood was searching for someone to fill the dean’s role once again — Berman’s prior experience as dean made him a strong candidate for the job.

“This time around, I feel much more prepared, and I’ve come into it much more eyes wide open,” Berman said.

He explained there was a formal nomination process for the new dean, a vote and then Wood made an appointment.

“The last time I did this job, there were some very clear external things that had to happen,” Berman said.

He explained that these external projects often included tasks like raising money for the new ASM building, working with Chinese partner schools and several other outside initiatives, adding “this time I am excited to work and focus internally.”

As interim-dean, Berman said one of his goals is to make plans for the future and leadership of ASM.

“This semester is going to be about asking questions and having good conversations — who are we as a school, who do we want to be and where are we going?” Berman said. “Those are all very healthy questions we should be asking.”

Berman also wants to work to increase the connections of ASM across the University. He said he especially wants to partner with the Health Sciences Center and see where the departments can collaborate in fields such as healthcare management.

Lisa McHale has worked closely with Berman in the ASM dean’s office throughout his different positions and promotions.

“I am confident that he has Anderson’s best interest at heart and will do his best to move Anderson forward into the future,” McHale said.

Berman will hold the position of interim dean for six months. A new dean of ASM will take over for the 2019-2020 school year. Berman said that despite his term being short, he is excited to be in the dean’s position once again.

“I really believe that being the dean is the best job in academia,” Berman said. “You get some budgetary and administrative control, but you still get to be very connected with the students and the academic mission of the school.”

Outside of work, Berman said he is an animal enthusiast and his wife and him love taking care of their many dogs and cats.

Catherine Stringam is a freelance reporter with the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cathey_stringam.