UNM Welcome Back Day

Students gather to share and learn more about their campus at Welcome Back Day.

UNM opens semester with Welcome Back Day

The University of New Mexico’s Spring 2019 semester is in full swing with the Spring Welcome Back Day, with the goal of making students feel right at home.

Welcome Back Day is a long standing UNM tradition where students can learn more about departments, Greek life, student services and even jobs. On Jan. 16, students gathered in the Student Union Building atrium for complimentary drinks, snacks, free glam and a plethora of different information.

According to Megan Leilua Weston, a member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority, was tabling at the event in the hopes of recruiting more members. Weston said she was excited to be back at school and to start recruitment very soon.

“We are really excited to welcome our new sisters. There are a lot of multicultural fraternities and sororities here and it's great to see everyone,” Weston said.

In addition to Greek life tables, Weston said there were a variety of other groups there as well, such as UNM Parking and Transportation (PATS), representatives from the Financial Aid Office and New Student Orientation members. She added that Welcome Back Day is a good time to find a group to join or a job.

Ryan Lindquist, the director of student activities, said Welcome Back Days first started back in the fall nearly 30 years ago. However, one is now also offered in the spring.

“The goal is to get students connected to campus resources, student organizations and involvement opportunities. It is also a way to welcome students back from winter break and to welcome new transfer students,” Lindquist said.

This year’s event was split into two different days. Next week’s Welcome Back Day will be on Jan. 23, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the SUB Atrium as well. Various departments — as well as Greek Life — were present at the event on Wednesday, but Lindquist said next week's Welcome Back Day will feature student organizations.

“We are providing free drinks for Welcome Back Days. Hopefully, people will grab a drink and walk around, interact with people,” Lindquist said.

Lindquist encouraged students to attend next week’s event, particularly if they missed the first one or would like to become more involved on campus.

“It is a great event. We hope to see more people next week. It is a great place to find a place to belong on campus and an opportunity to enhance social skills that will make students more marketable when they are looking for jobs as they graduate,” Lindquist said.

Megan Holmen is the assistant news editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at assistant-news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @megan_holmen.