Baseball: Mang, Garley take home first Mountain West weekly awards

In the first week of action back on the diamond, both Jared Mang and Nathaniel Garley took home the first weekly Mountain West awards, the conference announced on Monday. 

Mang was named MW Player of the Week, while Garley was named MW Pitcher of the Week. 

Garley, a junior right-hander, started on Saturday in the Lobos’ second game of the season against the Minnesota Gophers. He pitched seven innings, allowing just three hits and one run; all three hits by the Gophers were singles. 

Mang, who was named to the Preseason All-Mountain West team, has had a hot bat since UNM’s season opener against No. 7 Oregon State, the defending national champions. 

Mang, against the Beavers, recorded one hit on four plate appearances, however the hit was a two-run homer to left center. 

On Saturday against the Gophers, Mang went 4-for-5 at the plate with four RBI and two runs. 

And on Sunday against Gonzaga, Mang went 1-for-2 with one RBI and two runs. 

UNM is 2-2 on the season, with both wins coming against Gonzaga and Minnesota. Its two losses came against Oregon State in the season opener last Friday and on Monday at the conclusion of the tournament in Surprise, Arizona. 

Matthew Narvaiz is a senior writer. He helps with baseball and basketball coverage. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.