Deceased UNM Football Player

File photo.

Football: Romell Jordan, former UNM football player, dies unexpectedly

Former New Mexico running back Romell Jordan has died unexpectedly. He was 23-years old. Jordan’s death was first announced in a statement from the Boston Red Sox, where his brother Blake Swihart plays catcher. 

Jordan played three years with the Lobos, rushing for 551 yards to go along with 85 receiving yards. He dealt with injuries for most of his time as a Lobo, including losing the entire 2016 season to a torn ACL he suffered in spring practice. He also dealt with the passing of his mother the following September. 

“I stopped eating, I stopped sleeping,” he told the Albuquerque Journal in 2017. “I just stopped caring. It was just a real low point in my life, and I just didn’t care about much. I didn’t have football, and I didn’t have my mom.”

UNM issued the following statement from head football coach Bob Davie. 

“The news of Romell Jordan’s sudden passing is heartbreaking,” Davie said. “Romell was one of our first recruits from Cleveland High School, and he was a great young man. Romell went through many hardships, from a devastating knee injury to his mother’s passing, while with our team. He was a great teammate and a friend and his successful career at UNM was a huge source of pride for him, his family and his community. We will all miss Romell’s positive attitude, and his spirit. The entire Lobo Football family will have the Jordan and Swihart families in their thoughts and prayers throughout this very difficult time.”

Athletic director Eddie Nuñez also released a statement, saying that Jordan was a wonderful ambassador for UNM football who overcame tremendous adversity, and that the hearts of those involved with UNM athletics go out to the Jordan and Swihart families. 

A moment of silence was held prior to Wednesday’s women’s basketball game against San Jose State in honor of Jordan. The cause of his death is unclear. 

Cameron Goeldner is a senior reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer, women’s basketball, softball and the Albuquerque Isotopes, but also contributes content for all other sports. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Goeldfinger.