LoboTHON 2

Mohammad Assed, right, comforts Benjamin Maurer immediately after the fundraising total is announced for LoboTHON.   

LoboTHON raises over $100,000

In 2016, LoboTHON raised just over $25,000. 

During the 13.1-hour dance marathon on Saturday (and into Sunday), LoboTHON said they raised $103,408 for the University of New Mexico Children’s Hospital. That's just above the group's stated goal of $100,000 and smashed 2018’s total of $95,432. 

The dance marathon is the last in a series of year-long fundraising events for the UNMH Children's Hospital Miracle Network.  

As Saturday ticked into Sunday, Benjamin Maurer, a LoboTHON member, seemed to be tapering the crowd’s expectations. If he was doing it to build tension, it worked.

When the LoboTHON members held up the six-digit figure, the crowd exploded. A dozen or so people rushed the stage. Those already on it shouted and cried. Some, like Maurer, fell to the stage floor, crying partly from the success of the event, partly from exhaustion.   

The dance marathon is one of several events put on by the student organization in their philanthropic efforts. On the Thursday before the Marathon, LoboTHON put on an event that involved UNM Greek Life Adviser Matthew Lumpp being taped to the walls of the Student Union Building. 

Typically, fraternities and sororities are among the largest fundraisers. LoboTHON is also partially funded by the Associated Students of UNM. 

The marathon did get off to a tough start with some technical difficulties. About halfway through one of the dance group's routine, just after "Crank That" by Soulja Boy, the SUB Ballroom audio cut out about halfway through "Take On Me" by Ah-Ha (not by Weezer.) 

“Sometimes you crank that Soulja Boy,” said Lacy Garner, a LoboTHON speaker and organizer, once the sound was restored. “And sometimes that Soulja Boy cranks you.”

Justin Garcia is a staff reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers student government. He can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Just516garc.